Doctor Who 2007, Episode 1: "Smith and Jones" (Spoilers likely)

sniffles

First Post
The Doctor at one point makes a comment that the Jidoon aren't really police, more like mercenaries. They just do what they're hired to do.

dravot

First Post
Viking Bastard said:
Well, not really. But that's the point, 'innit?

(But Sugar Rush and Richard Curtis' movies do spring to mind, though, when I think about it.)

The movie 'Love Actually' had an interracial couple - Keira Knightley was married to Chiwetel Ejiofor.

And at the end, Colin (the guy who went to America to find Denise Richards in a Milwaukee bar) brought back some hot american babes who were interested in his black friend.

AFGNCAAP

First Post
Can't wait to start watching this season, whenever the US gets a chance to see it...

Glad to see that the Master's in the works. Seems like one of the big things for the series is the reintroduction/reinvention of one of the Doctor's one foes: Daleks in Season 1, and Cybermen in Season 2.

And, if any of the rumors/speculation mentioned in previous posts is true, I'll be very happy. I've always wondered about the possibility of someone like the Master working his way into a powerful political office, esp. on Earth (just to mess with the Doctor).

Then again, I was half expecting something a bit more radical, like the Master being the U. S. President, Premier of China, or the like. Then again, the Master winding up as Prime Minister is just as fitting (and, IMHO, just as personal of a move against the Doctor).

meomwt

First Post
merztrumpet said:
IIRC, if Roger Delgado hadn't passed away in a car crash there was supposed to be an episode during Pertwee's tenure where the Master redeemed himself and we discovered they were family.

As I understand some of the postings on Outpost Gallifrey, The Master and The Doctor were supposed to be separate parts of the same persona: The Ego and The Id.

Delgado wanted to leave because he wasn't getting other work, producers thought he was full-time on Doctor Who when he was only in 6-10 episodes per year.

wolff96

First Post
A bit of thread necromancy, here...

Considering that the states finally got to see this episode. (Not counting those who used bit-torrent to get a preview.)

Granted, I'm a couple of months late for those making comments on the UK version, but I thought it was a really good episode.

I think Martha is going to be a really good companion. She kept her head and she was useful during the crisis. Interestingly enough, she wasn't the only one -- the blond doctor kept his head as well, trying to protect the patients from the Jidoon.

The villain was brilliantly funny, in my opinion. On top of that, she was also intelligent -- which is something of a rarity among Dr. Who villains. Or at least, so it seems to someone who hasn't seen anything but the three recently-made seasons. :)

Interesting that they chose a companion with some actual skills this time around -- no offense to Rose, who was an amazing companion, but she was a shop-girl. Martha is most of the way to being a doctor. Has he ever had such educated companions before, in the old runs of the show?

All in all, I loved it. Bring on more Doctor Who!

Remove ads