• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Doctor Who 2007, Episode 1: "Smith and Jones" (Spoilers likely)

The Grumpy Celt

Banned
Banned
sniffles said:
...a tired old villain like the Master.

If they can make the Dalak and the Cybermen interesting, then they can make the Master interesting and scary. I wonder what will happen if he does become Prime Minister, if he is a patient and manipulative villain, if he tries to make Martha call him Master, if he grows a little pointy beard...

Felon

First Post
The Grumpy Celt said:
Fetish? I am less interested in where you are posting from than what century you are posting from.

Interracial relationships, dating and even marriage happen, particularly in cosmopolitan places like England. Davies seemed to present the Rose and Mickey relationship as de rigeur, just part of the scenery. No one, to my knowledge, ever.
Well, I came home from work expecting a lot of snark, so I guess I should be happy this is all I got. Heck, a couple of people even started scratching their chins.

I do regret the usage of the word "fetish" though, which has a more negative connotation than I was going for due to its connection with taboo concepts. "Penchant"? "Propensity"? "Habit"?

Not that I am making a complaint, just an observation of a casting choice that seems to occur with a relatively high frequency (relative to the number of episodes that actually take place in modern times that is).

Last edited:

Felon

First Post
Viking Bastard said:
Dunno, it doesn't seem to be a Davies thing at all. In recent years, this seems to have become the norm in UK media.
Interesting. Any particular examples spring to my mind?

Felon

First Post
Morrus said:
John Simm is the sixth actor who will play The Master.
I just looked this guy up in Wikipedia. He does not look that menacing to me. Has he ever pulled if off in another role?

sniffles

First Post
The Grumpy Celt said:
If they can make the Dalak and the Cybermen interesting, then they can make the Master interesting and scary. I wonder what will happen if he does become Prime Minister, if he is a patient and manipulative villain, if he tries to make Martha call him Master, if he grows a little pointy beard...
This is true. They have done wonders for reviving the show. If they do bring back the Master he will be an interesting Master.

I'll just wait impatiently to see what Saxon turns out to be...

merztrumpet

First Post
It was satisfying to see a new episode but I wasn't too terribly excited about the episode really. Usual critique. More historical setting/content is appealing though. Have to wait until next week.

Tuzenbach said:
Assuming the 1996 TV Movie (Paul McGann as the Doctor) would have evolved into a series, the plotline would've had the Doctor & the Master as brothers.
IIRC, if Roger Delgado hadn't passed away in a car crash there was supposed to be an episode during Pertwee's tenure where the Master redeemed himself and we discovered they were family.

Ed_Laprade

Adventurer
Spoiler Alert!
Spoiler Alert!
Spoiler Alert!

I watched about 12-13 minutes of this episode (2nd and part of the 3rd pieces on YouTube) and was more than a little disappointed in the Galactic Rent-A-Cops. Not that they didn't look great, but their attitude. Don't have jurisdiction on the planet potential criminals are on? Just kidnap a whole area. (Glad to see that kidnapping isn't a crime where they come from.) If they find who they are looking for they're going to kill everyone in the area for harboring a fugitive when they didn't even know said fugitive existed! If that's their idea of justice, I'd sure hate to see what they do to traffic violators. (136,000 mps, it's not just a good idea, it's the LAW!)

Remove ads