Doctor Who 2007, Episode 1: "Smith and Jones" (Spoilers likely)

Volaran

First Post
The Grumpy Celt said:
I don't know about that, but they did go to School together. The Master was a Syltherin and the Doctor and Griffendor, so to speak.

Might not be the best analogy. Among the colleges and chapters that governed Time Lord society, Doctor and the Master were both Prydonians, a school known for producing renegades. The Rani was also a member of this order.

I'm wondering if they won't make some kind of Master/Doctor sibling connection myself, though it would be strange. It's interesting that Tuzenbach notes that was the plan for the US version of the show, though.

Of course, they'd have to actually bring the Master back for any of these theories to pan out. ;) It wouldn't surprise me, given how many of his other class foes have come back, though.

Most frustrating, to me, is that I don't even watch the show on Sci-Fi. (We had to get rid of cable.) So I'm stuck waiting for the DVD release of series 3. :(

Hammerhead

Explorer
In the credits, I think they list the guy playing the Master, so he could be back. Rani always seemed a little superfluous to me.

horacethegrey

First Post
Wow. Been awhile since Christmas, so one has to wonder, was this worth the 3 month wait?

Answer: Definitely. :)

First off, I like Freema Agyeman. Aside from being very attractive, she also has spirit to match. She plays Martha Jones like a girl who's obviously stunned by all the wonders around her, but doesn't let it overwhelm her when the situation calls on her to act. Here's hoping she continues to deliver the rest of the season.

Tennant was excellent as always, but a tad too goofy here for my taste. I wish he tones it down in subsequent episodes. Even the great Tom Baker knew how to understate the Doctor's comedy.

The Judoon were an intriguing additon, and I've a feeling we won't see the last of them. And the main villain was a delight. SPOILERS Really, how threatening is a little old lady with a straw? :p SPOILERS Totally messed with our expectations of a typical Doctor Who adversary.

Well then, quite a good start. Hope next weeks episode will be just as good. :D

Mark Hope

Adventurer
horacethegrey said:
And the main villain was a delight.
Indeed. As soon as she produced her, er, implement, my daughter shrieked with terror and ran from the room... :D

I also wondered if the "not anymore" reference to a brother had anything to do with the Master. I'm pretty sure we'll be seeing him return at some point this series (my bet is on the finale).

Hasn't there also been some talk of incorporating elements from the "Lungbarrow" storylines that appeared in spin-off media and the concept that the Doctor is not just another Timelord? I have a feeling that this will play a part this time around as well.

Plus we should get to see what the Face of Boe's special message to the Doctor is as well ("You are not alone" is my bet, although "Please scratch my nose" is also a likely option...)

Great start to the series!

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Torchwood - lots of "Vote Saxon" poasters.

Last night - refeences to Mister Saxon.

"Mister Saxon" is an anagram of "Master No. Six".

John Simm is the sixth actor who will play The Master.

Season double-episode finale is called "The Last of the Time Lords".

John Barrowman in 3 episodes this season, after being collected by The Doctor at the end of Torchwood.

Speculate away!

Cthulhudrew

First Post
Hammerhead said:
In the credits, I think they list the guy playing the Master, so he could be back.

Where did you see this? And perhaps more importantly, what "guy playing the Master" are you talking about? If you mean the previous Masters, the two main ones are deceased (Roger Delgado and Anthony Ainley). I don't see any credits for Eric Roberts or either of the other three guys (one of whom is also deceased) anywhere.

As for anything else, there is still only speculation and rumor thus far that the Master will even be back.

Rani always seemed a little superfluous to me.

I still think it would be kind of cool to have her turn out to be a different regeneration of either the Master or the Doctor. If she was a classmate of theirs, though, I guess that wouldn't work out too well.

Cthulhudrew

First Post
Morrus said:
"Mister Saxon" is an anagram of "Master No. Six".

John Simm is the sixth actor who will play The Master.

You know, I've seen that speculation too, and it seems to make sense (anagrammatically), but if Simm (or anyone else) plays the Master, they will technically be the Seventh, won't they?

1) Roger Delgado
2) Peter Pratt
3) Some other dude (playing the same regeneration as Pratt's)
4) Anthony Ainley
5) Some dude who gets killed by the Daleks
6) Eric Roberts

(I'm sure those other guys have names, but I don't feel like bothering with Wikipedia or IMDB at the moment. I only remember the second icky-faced guy from the last time I Wiki'd the Master).

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Cthulhudrew said:
You know, I've seen that speculation too, and it seems to make sense (anagrammatically), but if Simm (or anyone else) plays the Master, they will technically be the Seventh, won't they?

1) Roger Delgado
2) Peter Pratt
3) Some other dude (playing the same regeneration as Pratt's)
4) Anthony Ainley
5) Some dude who gets killed by the Daleks
6) Eric Roberts

(I'm sure those other guys have names, but I don't feel like bothering with Wikipedia or IMDB at the moment. I only remember the second icky-faced guy from the last time I Wiki'd the Master).

You're right; I should've said "6th Master", not "6th Actor". As you point out, #2 and #3 in your list are the same regeneration.

The Grumpy Celt

Banned
Banned
Mark Hope said:
Plus we should get to see what the Face of Boe's special message to the Doctor is as well ("You are not alone" is my bet...

Shows what you know. The Face of Boe's final message to to Doctor, the final four word message is
Adama is a Cylon

I was just joking about the Harry Potter thing. I new the two had gone to school together and had been rivals since those long lost days, but I did not remember, or maybe I did not know, they had been in the same house. I forget if I forgot.

The Rani was interesting in so far as she suggested, by her mere existence, that there were possibly a number of Time Lord's going about, meddling with the universe.

I've read the stuff about Mr. Saxon, from the "Master No. Six" bit to it including a reference to the Axons, a creature that worked with the Master way-back-when. I've been hoping for some time to see the return of The Master. I would be bitterly ironic for the Doctor to learn that he is indeed not alone, not the last survivor of the time Lords, but that the only other one out their was a man who hates him and who he hates, his one true singular mortal enemy in all the cosmos.

Supposedly, Mister Saxon becomes
Prime Minister. So much for England's golden age...

Remove ads