• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Doctor Who 2007, Episode 1: "Smith and Jones" (Spoilers likely)

Brown Jenkin

First Post
Viking Bastard said:
So it's either just really common in the UK and TV is finally catching up to it or there is a huge conspiracy inside the TV industry.

A conspiracy that large has to be an alien conspiracy. Sounds like something the Doctor should investigate.

Cthulhudrew

First Post
Plane Sailing said:
In the UK it isn't considered strange in the least - it is so unremarkable that I doubt that many UK people even notice it.

In my experience, it isn't even all that remarkable in the US anymore, frankly.

The Grumpy Celt

Banned
Banned
Felon said:
Davies' interracial-coupling fetish...

Fetish? I am less interested in where you are posting from than what century you are posting from.

Interracial relationships, dating and even marriage happen, particularly in cosmopolitan places like England. Davies seemed to present the Rose and Mickey relationship as de rigeur, just part of the scenery. No one, to my knowledge, ever said anything like "Oh, an interracial relationship, who very enlightened of you..."

Further, I have been in and around hospitals more than I like and there are blacks and women doctors. I just wish I had ever had one as fetching as Freema Agyeman.

So Davies brings together a multiracial - and, ah, pansexual - cast of characters. More power to him.

Chunks of the episode are available on youtube. I've been watching it there and I like what I see of Marsha Jones' character to date.

Rykion

Explorer
The Grumpy Celt said:
Blast ye BBC people! Blast ya, says I.

Here in the States, we're gonna have to wait for more than a year to get these episodes. And I really like the new Dr. Who. I do, I do, I like Who.
The people on the Sci-Fi Channel's forums seem to think series 3 will air sometime this summer/fall. So the wait isn't that long, but it will sure feel like it. :(

Fast Learner

First Post
The Grumpy Celt said:
Interracial relationships, dating and even marriage happen, particularly in cosmopolitan places like England. Davies seemed to present the Rose and Mickey relationship as de rigeur, just part of the scenery. No one, to my knowledge, ever said anything like "Oh, an interracial relationship, who very enlightened of you...".
Right, but it does seem a little peculiar that every black person in a relationship in the show is with a white person. I hadn't noticed it until it was brought up, but I can see that it does seem very intentional.

Cthulhudrew

First Post
Fast Learner said:
Right, but it does seem a little peculiar that every black person in a relationship in the show is with a white person.

Not so- obviously Martha's parents- both black- were involved very seriously at one point (married even!), despite the fact that they aren't currently. The little girl from last season's Fear Her didn't have biracial parents- they were both black.

Honestly, given how little this show has anything to do with romantic drama, I'm really not understanding the complaint/observance.

Huw

First Post
Fast Learner said:
Right, but it does seem a little peculiar that every black person in a relationship in the show is with a white person. I hadn't noticed it until it was brought up, but I can see that it does seem very intentional.

Good point - I hadn't noticed it either. Counting Torchwood, that'll be five black/white versus two black/black (both defunct).

And back to topic: Great opener! Freema reminds of Liz Shaw with her attitude.

sniffles

First Post
Huw said:
And back to topic: Great opener! Freema reminds of Liz Shaw with her attitude.
I hope she works out better than Liz Shaw did. Fortunately in our (slightly) more enlightened times the thought of a strong, intelligent, educated woman won't be as threatening to the male writers, I hope. ;)

I thought the episode went by too fast. All those months of waiting and it was over in 45 minutes. Now I've got to wait a whole week for the next one. :(

I think Martha Jones will work out well. I don't believe Saxon will be the Master. I like what Grumpy Celt suggests regarding the anagram of his name. Now that would interest me much more than resurrecting a tired old villain like the Master. :p

Volaran

First Post
sniffles said:
I hope she works out better than Liz Shaw did. Fortunately in our (slightly) more enlightened times the thought of a strong, intelligent, educated woman won't be as threatening to the male writers, I hope.

I've been watching some of the early Third Doctor episodes recently, and I find I quite like Liz Shaw as a companion, though Martha does not particularly remind me of her.

Flexor the Mighty!

18/100 Strength!
It was ok. The straw was stupid and the Doctor sometimes is too goofy. And a new companion with the large family that will no doubt get a ton of screen time...but I realize that this show isn't really for me and don't get worked up about it. I've still got my audios for new Doctor Who stories.

Remove ads