Doctor Who 2007, Episode 1: "Smith and Jones" (Spoilers likely)

Lorgrom

First Post
I just got done watching this episode online (send me a message for the site link). I read the ending credits and there was no reference to any character named The Master.

Cthulhudrew

First Post
Morrus said:
You're right; I should've said "6th Master", not "6th Actor". As you point out, #2 and #3 in your list are the same regeneration.

Oh- I see it now. Duh! Don't know how I missed the distinction before. As I said, I'd read it somewhere else too, and was like- do they realize...? :heh:

Felon

First Post
The Grumpy Celt said:
Blast ye BBC people! Blast ya, says I.

Here in the States, we're gonna have to wait for more than a year to get these episodes.
Speak for yoruself, fella. :)

Just finished watching the episode, and it seemed to meet all the standard expectations. The emphasis of the episode is on the Doc bonding with Martha, so the antagonists consist of a bunch of bland droid-like critters bumbling around chasing the pair, and some generic maniacal dastard.

We also get a lot of slices of Martha's family, which is way too big for my tastes as I can suspect how much air-time that's going to consume. We also get yet another instance of Davies' interracial-coupling fetish, causing me to wonder how many more times he can slip it in before anyone besides me speaks up to mention how peculiar it is that he doesn't seem to let an opportunity slip past by anymore.

Next week looks interesting. Downright diabolical in fact.

Last edited:

Plane Sailing

Astral Admin - Mwahahaha!
Felon said:
We also get yet another instance of Davies' interracial-coupling fetish, causing me to wonder how many more times he can slip it in before anyone besides me speaks up to mention how peculiar it is.

In the UK it isn't considered strange in the least - it is so unremarkable that I doubt that many UK people even notice it.

Plane Sailing

Morrus said:
John Simm is the sixth actor who will play The Master.

Since I'm hugely enjoying 'Life on Mars' at the moment, I'm really excited to see John Simm playing Mr Saxon, and I certainly hope that he will be the master. I was originally disappointed that Anthony Head didn't get that particular job, but I think that Simm could do an even better job.

Felon

First Post
Plane Sailing said:
In the UK it isn't considered strange in the least - it is so unremarkable that I doubt that many UK people even notice it.
Fair enough, but it's one thing for it to be considered "not unusual", quite another that it seems to be Davies' default casting decision.

Wasn't there some BBC drama in recent years (maybe within the last five) that caught public attention for no other reason than it portrayed an interracial romance?

Plane Sailing

Felon said:
Wasn't there some BBC drama in recent years (maybe within the last five) that caught public attention for no other reason than it portrayed an interracial romance?

Can't say I can think of anything, although I'm not much of a TV addict so it could have slipped past my radar. I'd expect to see a bit of an outcry if someone actually portrayed a -functional- relationship of *any* kind in mainstream TV nowadays though!

Viking Bastard

Adventurer
Felon said:
We also get yet another instance of Davies' interracial-coupling fetish, causing me to wonder how many more times he can slip it in before anyone besides me speaks up to mention how peculiar it is that he doesn't seem to let an opportunity slip past by anymore.
Dunno, it doesn't seem to be a Davies thing at all. In recent years, this seems to have become the norm in UK media.

So it's either just really common in the UK and TV is finally catching up to it or there is a huge conspiracy inside the TV industry.

Remove ads