Doctor Who 2007: The Sound of Drums

horacethegrey

First Post
Well thanks for agreeing with me on that point Cthulhudrew. Cause for me it's the only conclusion that makes sense. Remember when the Doctor asked who the Toclafane were? He responded by saying:

Master: My dear Doctor, if I told you, both your hearts would break.

SPOILERS So in light of that, the Toclafane really must be Time Lords in some shape or form. Because now the Doctor is caught in a painful moral dilemma. Should he let the Master do as he will and allow the Toclafane to conquer the Earth, thus establishing a new race of Time Lords in place of the human race who are sure to be eradicated? Or should he save the human race and thus endure the emotional trauma once more of having destroyed his own people? That's a great scenario any which way you look at it. :D

And remember, the next episode is called Last of the Time Lords, because when all is said and done I think the story will end with only the Doctor and the Master as the only Time Lords left once more.
SPOILERS

Course I could be wrong about this whole thing altogether and it might turn out all different, and I've just been talking out of my arse this whole time. :\

BobROE

Explorer
Great ep.

My only worry is that at the end of the next one that time/space will be reset and alot of what's happening will be undone. I mean the Master's built a "Paradox Machine" which suggests to me that what's happening involves fiddling with time.

The Grumpy Celt

Banned
Banned
The Master’s capacity of treachery is bottomless. It is almost a compulsion with him. Even assuming the Toclafane are Gallifreians, or Time Lords, it would be out of character for him to simply bring them back. He is plotting something darker and crueler.

Cthulhudrew

First Post
One thing I'm hoping they'll get into next week is- what's the Master's "wife's" deal? She talked about having made her decision long ago, but I'm just not quite sure what that means. She almost seemed regretful when that reporter woman was there, but now she's just kind of casually going along with things. Hm.

ddvmor

I'm a little teapot!
This was a great episode. Lots of fun. Wasn't sure I was going to get on with Simm's Master at first, but once he
offed the cabinet
I was sold. Excellent performance.

I'm a tiny bit disappointed with the speed with which the gang escaped their predicament at the end of the last episode, but it got them in the thick of the action nice and quickly.

Mostly, I'm left with with no clue how the story's gonna be resolved and I really, really, really want to to see the next episode. Which is exactly what they want, damn them!

Flexor the Mighty!

18/100 Strength!
It was pretty good but it has the camp and cheese that covers all of RTD writings. I hope the end reveal is a good one. Why not let the Doc have a good ending and see the Time Lords return? It doesn't have to really affect how the show plays out to a major degree other than removing the darkness the Doctor is carrying around, which I would be fine with.

The Master needs his goatee.

Last edited:

sniffles

First Post
Cthulhudrew said:
They put a lot of nice work into the old Gallifrey costumes, and had some nice scenery for the planet- hope this means that down the road we might even see a resurrection of the planet itself (although I'm suspect- with the Time Lords back, the Doctor won't have nearly as much hesitation about destroying the Master as he currently does.)
Since the Doctor has always hesitated to actually destroy the Master, why would he change his mind if the Time Lords return?

I liked everything about this episode. I thought it was clever how RTD made the audience think the Doctor and friends were in a terrible pickle at the end of 'Utopia', and then it turned out that was nothing and the real trouble was ahead of them. ;)

I loved the flashback scenes on Gallifrey. I think I was grinning like an idiot through that whole sequence.

My only question is, why did
Jack give his Vortex Manipulator to Martha? Why didn't he teleport out with her? I suppose he thinks he'll be better able to help the Doctor if he's still in the same location - after all, as far as we know, Jack's immortal. Hmm. I suspect I see a way for the Doctor to get his youth back...

Mallus

Legend
Fantastic episode, marvelous. Loved Simm's portrayal of the Master, the flashback to a Flash Gordon-esque Gallifrey, complete with figures wearing the classic Time Lord costumes, the fact that U.N.I.T stole S.H.I.E.L.D's aerial aircraft carrier, the whole thing, really.

This season has been some of the most entertaining television in years.

Raven Crowking

First Post
Huw said:
My theory: They're the "souls" of humans from some parallel universe, possibly the one from season 2. Mrs Saxon is somehow a refugee from said universe, which is why she's happy to go along with it.

Anyone good at anagrams. What could toclafane be?

My theory is that the toclafane are the humans from Utopia. Otherwise, I'm wondering what aliens would make the Doctor's hearts break. There does seem something familiar about the voices they're using for them.......

Could they be the souls of Time Lords?

Could Mrs. Saxon be the Rani?

EDIT: Of course, having now read through the thread, I see my ideas aren't as clever as I thought. OTOH, I thought it was a great episode. And I do agree that the Master should have his goatee..... :lol: (I did like the flash of red lining on his coat at the airport....just that bit of old Master shining through!)

Last edited:

delericho

Legend
sniffles said:
I suppose (Jack) thinks he'll be better able to help the Doctor if he's still in the same location - after all, as far as we know, Jack's immortal. Hmm. I suspect I see a way for the Doctor to get his youth back...

Actually, I think the answer to that one is simpler than that:
the Master aged the Doctor by reversing the polarity of the 'Regeneration Machine' from earlier in the season in his Laser Screwdriver. So, when they defeat their enemy, or perhaps as a key part of doing so, they'll get their hands on it, reverse the polarity again, and have at it. Sorted.

Remove ads