Doctor Who 28.8 The Impossible Planet

Brakkart

First Post
Okay, definately my favourite episode of the series so far. Doctor Who & Rose vs Fiendish Mind Flayers & a Demon Lord. I can't wait for next week!

And they're not on Earth!! Hoorah!

Last edited:

MonsterMash

First Post
Got to admit I was glad to get a much more SF episode of Dr Who at last. It was one of the better ones this season, even if without the emotional intensity of the GitF or School Reunion, but nice to get back to the exploring of alien worlds.

Felon

First Post
Yeah, I liked this episode overall. I was getting pretty irked by Rose and the Doctor acting like a couple of goofy stoners for about the first twenty minutes, making silly faces and giggling at everything. Rose in particular tends to overdo the cheekyness. But, they got sobered up soon enough.

The soundtrack was a bit off--had some riffs that were more appropriate for an "action" tone than horror--but otherwise it was a solid show.

Hawklord

First Post
Felon said:
I was getting pretty irked by Rose and the Doctor acting like a couple of goofy stoners for about the first twenty minutes, making silly faces and giggling at everything. Rose in particular tends to overdo the cheekyness.

I must admit. that is really starting to bug me as well. I quite liked Rose last season, but now she's really starting to grate. Still overall this was a teriffic episode, hopefully next weeks conclusion will maintain the quality.

Plane Sailing

Astral Admin - Mwahahaha!
I've heard that...

[sblock]The producer has hinted that he is deliberately going for a 'aren't we all having a jolly time' sort of vibe in order to give them a big crash in the future[/sblock]

(don't look if you think it will spoil a surprise for you!)

Plane Sailing

Astral Admin - Mwahahaha!
I was so glad that this was a two parter - it gave time for the story to develop and the good old fashioned cliff-hanger. In the next series I'd like to see almost all the episodes as two parters (the idiots lantern could have had a great break at the point where Roses' face gets sucked off, for instance...)

Fast Learner

First Post
I'd prefer a mix of single and double episodes. If they're always double, the writers are going to end up padding them out too often: some stories just aren't worth all that time. I think The Idiot's Lantern was plenty long enough, and that its hokeyness would have grated in two hours (it nearly did in one).

So far this season has been great, and I quite enjoy The Doctor and Rose's cheekiness.

Cthulhudrew

First Post
I was pleasantly surprised. I've been a bit underwhelmed by the last three episodes, and the preview for this week's ep kind of left me confused. I couldn't really tell what it was about, and I wasn't sure if it was going to be good.

So- like I said, though- very happy with it. It did kind of start out slow; the obvious fake-out ("We need to feed") at the beginning, plus the aforementioned cheekiness of the two leads kind of was irritating, but once the action got moving, it really got good. This episode seemed to me to really capture the feeling of the old serials in many ways more than others- isolated space station in the far reaches of space, minimal crew, weird goings on. It captured all of that, and it was a two parter, to boot (I was thinking at one point, wow- this episode really should be a two-parter, to give us some more time to delve into things, and hey! It was!)

The biblical overtones are probably very obviously another fake-out, and I'm looking forward to seeing the real story here. Can't wait for next week's installment!

sniffles

First Post
Plane Sailing said:
I've heard that...

[sblock]The producer has hinted that he is deliberately going for a 'aren't we all having a jolly time' sort of vibe in order to give them a big crash in the future[/sblock]

(don't look if you think it will spoil a surprise for you!)
I was hoping he'd do something like that!! :D

I thought this was the best episode so far, perhaps tied with "The Girl in the Fireplace".
Classic Doctor Who - a mystery, a scary BBEG, and it's been a long time since we've had an 'oh no we've lost the TARDIS' moment. I'm really looking forward to next week.
They did a great job of making the station seem grim & gritty, and I liked all the actors.

Brakkart

First Post
sniffles said:
They did a great job of making the station seem grim & gritty, and I liked all the actors.

I particularly liked the captain, who I was racking my brains trying to remember where I'd seen him before. He was of course Izzy from The Mummy Returns, the skyship captain who was worried about getting shot.

Remove ads