Doctor Who s08e09 Flatlines - SPOILERS

MarkB

Legend
That was rather enjoyable. With the Doctor's role in the episode, ah, minimised, Clara takes central stage and doesn't disappoint. It's an interesting ride, and a chance for the Doctor to see his own role from the outside - and it seems that he doesn't like what he sees.

For Clara, this seems to have only reinforced her addiction - she's so caught up in the Doctor's world that she's become quite casual about lying about it, even to herself.

The only disappointment is that the villains were rather... two-dimensional. They're a great concept, but not memorable in and of themselves - more a plot device than an opponent. And I think the 3D transformation, visually impressive as it was, was a mistake - they were more menacing when they were literally in the walls, and the tunnel system would have been the perfect environment to maximise their potential.

The throwaway Missy scene at the end seemed a little wasted - more a reminder that she exists than anything else. Why not include one of the 2Dfied people turning up in 'heaven'?

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
The lying theme is getting more and more prevalent. Doctor lying, Clara lying. Lots of highlighted lying.

Crothian

First Post
The throwaway Missy scene at the end seemed a little wasted - more a reminder that she exists than anything else. Why not include one of the 2Dfied people turning up in 'heaven'?

Not wasted at all. It told us that she picked Clara for a reason.

Richards

Legend
I loved this episode! I especially enjoyed the Doctor plausibly passing things (like a sledgehammer) to Clara from inside her purse, and - best of all - the Doctor "hand-walking" the TARDIS out of danger. And was that the first time we've seen the TARDIS in its non-chameleon-circuited cube shape? It looked rather a bit like the Pandorica.

Johnathan

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I think the budget restrictions are starting to show. That's a couple of episodes in a row where I thought the CGI was poor.

And was that the first time we've seen the TARDIS in its non-chameleon-circuited cube shape?

They called that "siege mode". It's natural shape is more like a cylinder/capsule.

Not wasted at all. It told us that she picked Clara for a reason.

It's more fundamental than that; the "reason" part isn't the important news here: it's that she "picked" Clara at all. Have we had any hint before that Missy is even aware Clara exists?

MarkB

Legend
It's more fundamental than that; the "reason" part isn't the important news here: it's that she "picked" Clara at all. Have we had any hint before that Missy is even aware Clara exists?

I'm just going from memory, but wasn't there something in an earlier episode about her wanting to keep them together?

Remove ads