Doctor Who s8e12: Death in Heaven [spoilers]

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
About to start! I'm excited! An extra-long one-hour episode!

Why did Clara Oswald never exist? UNIT! Will Danny return? Is Missy really the Master? We find out very soon!

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
TARDIS skydive rescue - awesome!

Danny able to give orders to all the Cybermen - rubbish.

Doctor executing Master - I don't think he did. Different SFX.

That finding Gallifrey thing? So she was lying after all?

Nick Frost is Santa!

Why use a plane when you have a TARDIS?

MarkB

Legend
TARDIS skydive rescue - awesome!

Danny able to give orders to all the Cybermen - rubbish.

Doctor executing Master - I don't think he did. Different SFX.

That finding Gallifrey thing? So she was lying after all?

Nick Frost is Santa!

Why use a plane when you have a TARDIS?

Why did you think it was rubbish that Danny could command all the Cybermen? It seemed to make sense continuity-wise - he was given their control bracelet, from the hand of their previous commander - and plot-wise it worked too, making a fitting end to Danny's plot arc.

It seemed pretty obvious that the Doctor teleported Missy rather than killing her.

I was really sad that the UNIT scientist girl died - she was always a bit of a fandom stand-in, but still, a good character, and resourceful in a crisis.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Why did you think it was rubbish that Danny could command all the Cybermen? It seemed to make sense continuity-wise - he was given their control bracelet, from the hand of their previous commander - and plot-wise it worked too, making a fitting end to Danny's plot arc.

Ah. Maybe I missed something? I don't recall Danny getting the bracelet.

It seemed pretty obvious that the Doctor teleported Missy rather than killing her.

My wife says Danny shot her to save the Doctor getting his hands dirty. I'll have to rewatch.

MarkB

Legend
Ah. Maybe I missed something? I don't recall Danny getting the bracelet.

Yeah, the Doctor threw it to him. Pretty much his epiphany - he realised that he knew one person he could trust with an army, and it wasn't himself.

My wife says Danny shot her to save the Doctor getting his hands dirty. I'll have to rewatch.

So will I. There was a cyberman there at the end, but it wasn't Danny - he'd already blown himself up in the cloud. If the cyberman did shoot Missy, then it was the Brigadier - but again, it seemed like the wrong special effect for that.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Yeah, the Doctor threw it to him. Pretty much his epiphany - he realised that he knew one person he could trust with an army, and it wasn't himself.

So will I. There was a cyberman there at the end, but it wasn't Danny - he'd already blown himself up in the cloud. If the cyberman did shoot Missy, then it was the Brigadier - but again, it seemed like the wrong special effect for that.

I agree it was a different SFX.

Plane Sailing

Astral Admin - Mwahahaha!
I thought it was supposed to look like the brigadier cyberman shot missy, although I don't know that we ever saw the cybermen with disintegrators. Certainly the doctor was holding missy's device end on rather than upright, and upright was the disintegration mode.

You do see the doctor clearly tossing the bracelet to Danny.

I thought the lie at the beginning from Clara was potentially very interesting. The mutual lies to each other at the end was quite touching.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
The trailer fakeouts are annoying.

Don't get me wrong - I don't want trailers to spoil surprises. But pretending there is an awesome twist and there just not turning out to be one is vey underwhelming. Doing it twice is more so.

Clara doing the whole "you'll never set foot in your TARDIS again" and "Clara Oswald never existed!" led me to believe cool things were ahead. A dream sequence and a momentary bluff were... anticlimactic.

That's an issue with the trailers though. I enjoyed the episode.

So - she was lying about Gallifrey's location, right?

Remove ads