Doctor Who s8e4: "Listen"; best ep of the year so far!

Nellisir

Hero
I don't think he's a medical doctor. In fact, I'm not entirely sure he has a doctorate at all!
[snark]He'll fit right in then.[/snark]

[disclaimer]I actually respect psychologists, therapists, and psychiatrists highly; I have utilized their services on occasion since I was a kid to help with stress, depression, and ADD; etc and insert other disclaimers here as necessary.[/disclaimer]

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Isn't that illegal?

In Texas, it's against the law to call yourself an Engineer unless you have a Professional Engineer certification.

I don't think the Doctor really cares about the laws of Texas in the early 21st Century. He's a bit more... universal in terms of both time and space! Plus it's probably legal on Gallifrey.

Janx

Hero
I don't think the Doctor really cares about the laws of Texas in the early 21st Century. He's a bit more... universal in terms of both time and space! Plus it's probably legal on Gallifrey.

no one cares about the laws of Texas. It's more of the principal that with most laws, if one place has it, a lot of other places have something like it on the books. Barring the really ridiculous laws about not marrying squirrels that is.

As such, I predict that many places have laws about not using certain titles, like Doctor, unless you have the credentials to back it up.

Not that a Timelord might care, but as a tangent on the whole issue on why he can't treat himself, he very likely also can't call himself a Doctor when he visits Earth.

Janx

Hero
I don't think he's a medical doctor. In fact, I'm not entirely sure he has a doctorate at all!

On the plus side of all this, if I ever finish a SteamPunk costume, I can grab one of my sonic screwdrivers and call myself "The Engineer" and it'll make perfect sense in Texas.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
no one cares about the laws of Texas. It's more of the principal that with most laws, if one place has it, a lot of other places have something like it on the books. Barring the really ridiculous laws about not marrying squirrels that is.

As such, I predict that many places have laws about not using certain titles, like Doctor, unless you have the credentials to back it up.

Not that a Timelord might care, but as a tangent on the whole issue on why he can't treat himself, he very likely also can't call himself a Doctor when he visits Earth.

He does lots of things people don't want him to do. Entire spacefaring civilizations spend millennia warring with him. As he says: "Never tell me the rules!"

Remove ads