• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Doctor Who Season 6 (SPOILERS :p)

Fast Learner

First Post
(added spoilers at Mustrum_Ridcully's request)

And barring anything else, that means
Amy did give him at least one night to remember.

It's not barring anything else, though. I think you missed a key bit; see below.

And it would have to be
the Doctor because if it's not him then that means Amy slept with another roaming Time Lord out there, some where.

When The Doctor, Madame Vastra, and Dorium Maldavar are discussing
Melody's DNA they conclude that River/Melody's conception in the traveling TARDIS transformed her human DNA into that of a Time Lord (or something close to it), and that she was genetically modified or pushed towards being more of a Time Lord
by Madame Kovarian (Eye Patch Lady).

No
sex with a Time Lord is required. As they note in the discussion, Time Lords became what they are due to prolonged exposure to the Time Vortex; River/Melody's DNA was actually
created in the midst of it.

And that means River
can not be The Doctor's wife. because then that would be marrying your own daughter.

Because she's not
related to him River could be his wife. However, a couple of episodes back the term "the Doctor's wife" was used for the TARDIS itself,
which is likely what that reference means.

Last edited:

This is a spoiler thread (as it says in the title), so you don't need to add tags.

It's not barring anything else, though. I think you missed a key bit; see below.

When The Doctor, Madame Vastra, and Dorium Maldavar are discussing River's DNA they conclude that River/Melody's conception in the traveling TARDIS transformed her human DNA into that of a Time Lord (or something close to it), and that she was genetically modified or pushed towards being more of a Time Lord by Madame Kovarian (Eye Patch Lady).

No sex with a Time Lord is required. As they note in the discussion, Time Lords became what they are due to prolonged exposure to the Time Vortex; River/Melody's DNA was actually created in the midst of it.

Because she's not related to him River could be his wife. However, a couple of episodes back the term "the Doctor's wife" was used for the TARDIS itself, which is likely what that reference means.
I would still consider using sblock spoilers, just for our American watchers that still have to wait a week. It's always dangerous if there is only one single thread on a TV show. If it's a full-on spoiler thread, with spoilers of future episodes even know one has seen, it becomes very hard to get into discussions of past episodes without avoiding spoilers for future ones.

[sblock]
The Doctor never had any sex with Amy Pond. But the wedding night of Amy and Rory was aboard the TARDIS, and the exposure to the Time Vortex might have done the very same that it did to the Gallyfreyans once - mutated them into Time Lords.

It is possible that there was some additional trickery employed to make this happening easier than it normally would.
[/sblock]

Herschel

Adventurer
I'm still not sure I actually like the River origin story (the name order reversal is a bit irritating in a shoe horn kind of way) and I did like the way the young soldier made you think for a bit she might be a young River (and might have worked well also). It also does lend a funny twist on River's "I'm a screamer" line from earlier. It will also create a rather odd dynamic aboard the Tardis and I'm guessing Karen and Arthur are gone after this series/season (Karen's original contract was for two series, Matt Smith's for three or four (I think through the 2013 series)).

Still, lots of space to work and Moffat's pretty good at writing himself out of apparent inescapable boxes.

Last edited:

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Crossposted on CM:

I have a theory. This is all pure speculation, so no spoilers.

I remember some time ago Moffat expressed displeasure that The Doctor had, over recent years, strayed a long way from the "odd man in a blue box putting things right" to "most famous guy in the universe feared by all". I think he's setting about putting that right, taking it back more to its roots.

There's this long theme (from the Pandorica last year to this) of him being so feared by the entire universe that the entire universe allies to take him down. This is the second time that theme's come up, and definitely more than a few times that the "Doctor means 'greatest warrior'" thing comes up. Even when RTD was doing it, the Daleks called him "the destroyer" and stuff, and the "Time Lord Victorious" stuff from the Tennant specials (his own hubris) along with when he destroyed the red spider queen thingy's children in the Xmas special with Donna and she had to get him to stop. Add in the Time War stuff, the anger he feels at it all, and so on.

Eye Patch Woman refers to this long war against the Doctor. A war he wasn't even aware of. And the Clerics when we first met them weren't bad guys (and they made a point of humanising them with the fat-thin couple to remind us of that).

I think this season is about ending all that. The Doctor is being shown what he has become - he's now the villain of the piece. Moffat's building him up into the perfect aggressor, Galactus-style, and he's going to realise that his actions and his existence are actually destructive.

And, I'm going out on a limb here - I think that's why he'll arrange to have himself killed on that beach. Though there will be some timey-wimey rebooting effect of that, because they won't end the show.

Next year, I postulate, he won't be the most famous and feared being in all creation any more. He'll just be a mad man in a blue box who sets things right.

MarkB

Legend
I hope you're right. One thing I began tiring of by the end of the second season of new Who was the seeming need to constantly out-do each prior season's climax in terms of world-threatening peril - first the world, then the universe, then the multiverse, then the entire history of creation.

After a certain point, there isn't any further you can reasonably raise the stakes, and the only alternative is to take a new approach.

Fast Learner

First Post
There's an awesome Usenet post from Steven Moffat back in 1995 where he postulated that the word "doctor," meaning healer, actually came from Doctor Who, with people throughout time taking up the word due to their experience with him.

1995. Man does he ever hold onto his cool ideas.

There's an awesome Usenet post from Steven Moffat back in 1995 where he postulated that the word "doctor," meaning healer, actually came from Doctor Who, with people throughout time taking up the word due to their experience with him.

1995. Man does he ever hold onto his cool ideas.
Interesting ...

Good ideas last?

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads