Doctor Who: The Return of Russell T. Dalek... um, DAVIES

Ryujin

Legend
I think Eccleston

Lol. first explosion was a great shock, the second was fun, everyone from the third is just tiresome. There are so many strings they could continue. Like what has Jenny been doing. What about Susan his/her grandaughter after the universe was rebooted. What is her timeline like now.

Weve got a former companion and the eternal child in a brand new tardis. Wouldn't it be great if they all had started a new world of timelords by going to the beginning of time, and been tinkering all along. Maybe that explains the timeless child. i want something new and fun not a gallifrey that has a push here to explode button for when they run out of ideas.
I think that they missed a bet by not spinning off a new kids series like "The Sarah Jane Adventures", using the Doctor's daughter (Georgia Moffett).

Dausuul

Legend
In Doctor Who, the showrunners ARE the writers, some of the time. Moffat wrote some of the best episodes of David Tennant's run (while RTD was showrunner) and he wrote a lot of the better Matt Smith ones too, but IMO his 10th Doctor Episodes are better than any of his work as showrunner (even though I like both 11 and 12. Apparently Chibnall wrote some good episodes while Moffat was showrunner, which is why they gave him the job.
As a contributing writer, Chibnall wrote "42," "The Hungry Earth/Cold Blood," "Dinosaurs on a Spaceship," and "The Power of Three." Middle-of-the-pack episodes, nothing awful but nothing really memorable either. Certainly Chibnall never delivered anything like the stuff Moffat wrote during the RTD era.

I also agree that Moffat's best work was as a contributor under RTD. No surprise there, the demands on the lead writer/showrunner are exponentially greater. But that means, if you're going to pick your showrunner based on their skill as a writer, they better be a really damn good writer. If somebody was merely competent as a contributing writer, they're not up to wearing the big hat.

Anyway, back to Davies: I'm very happy with RTD coming back. By all accounts, he has continued to hone his writing skills in the ten years since he left; and he has the experience of having run "Doctor Who" before, so he won't have to learn the ropes the way a new guy would. Plus, he's had ten years to reflect on what worked and what didn't during his first run. I don't think his second run will be just a retread of the Ninth/Tenth Doctor era. And if it is... well, that was a pretty good era, there are worse things to make a retread of.

Also, Davies handpicked Moffat to take the reins after him, and Moffat delivered. So when the time comes for RTD to move on again, I have hope that he will do an equally good job choosing a successor*.

*Though I will have to call shenanigans if he picks Moffat again.

Last edited:

FitzTheRuke

Legend
As a contributing writer, Chibnall wrote "42," "The Hungry Earth/Cold Blood," "Dinosaurs on a Spaceship," and "The Power of Three." Middle-of-the-pack episodes, nothing awful but nothing really memorable either. Certainly Chibnall never delivered anything like the stuff Moffat wrote during the RTD era.

I also agree that Moffat's best work was as a contributor under RTD. No surprise there, the demands on the lead writer/showrunner are exponentially greater. But that means, if you're going to pick your showrunner based on their skill as a writer, they better be a really damn good writer. If somebody was merely competent as a contributing writer, they're not up to wearing the big hat.

Anyway, back to Davies: I'm very happy with RTD coming back. By all accounts, he has continued to hone his writing skills in the ten years since he left; and he has the experience of having run "Doctor Who" before, so he won't have to learn the ropes the way a new guy would. Plus, he's had ten years to reflect on what worked and what didn't during his first run. I don't think his second run will be just a retread of the Ninth/Tenth Doctor era. And if it is... well, that was a pretty good era, there are worse things to make a retread of.

Also, Davies handpicked Moffat to take the reins after him, and Moffat delivered. So when the time comes for RTD to move on again, I have hope that he will do an equally good job choosing a successor*.

*Though I will have to call shenanigans if he picks Moffat again.

I agree with everything you've just said. Here's hoping RTD has had some great ideas pop up in his 10 year absence. It's even likely, or I doubt he'd have wanted the job.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Jodie Whitaker confirmed on Norton the other night she'd finished filming for Doctor Who and was officially no longer the Doctor. Of course, we have yet to see what she filmed.

Remove ads