• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Does a paladin's mount get Magical beast base attack bonus or animal BAB

frankthedm

First Post
Does a paladin's mount get Magical beast base attack bonus or animal BAB? I think it would be magical beasts BAB but I am not to sure since the mount retains animal skills and such.

Also, if a paladin has a mount without a Hoof attack [ a large wolf to be exact] and The paladin does an overrun maneuver what is the attack bonus? And how much damage should be done? I am guessing -5 to hit compared to the primary attack and damage would be D4 + ½ Str bonus of subdual [the half Str is because a wolf gets Str & a half on its bite because it is the wolf's sole attack normally].

CRGreathouse

Community Supporter
Animal. It's an animal in all respects, except that it *is* a Magical Beast.

It sounds strange, but it's what the PH says. In addition to the language itself, it does say to give it extra d8s...

Caliban

Rules Monkey
frankthedm said:
Does a paladin's mount get Magical beast base attack bonus or animal BAB? I think it would be magical beasts BAB but I am not to sure since the mount retains animal skills and such.

The PHB doesn't specify, but according to the Sage both BAB and Saves advance as an Animal, not a Magical beast.

Also, if a paladin has a mount without a Hoof attack [ a large wolf to be exact] and The paladin does an overrun maneuver what is the attack bonus?

Nothing, since you can't attack on an Overrun. Overrun is something you can do during the Move part of a Charge action, it represents you running over or past an opponent on your way to another opponent or square. In this case, it would be your mount that is doing the Overrun action.

Artoomis

First Post
The Sage has indeed ruled that it gets an animal's BAB and saves, and it gets no skills or feats.

Seems silly to me.

The PHB reminds you to increase BAB and Saves, but doesn't say how. The PHB does specifically state the extra HDs are d8, though.

Question: So what does being a Magical Beast do, exactly, then?

Answer: Not much. "Animal" spells won't work. That's it as far as I can see - and many of them wouldn't work anyway because of the increased intelligence.

My opinion? They should get the saves, BAB skills and feats of a Magical Beast. The net gain will be +3 BAB, 8 skill points and two feats for the mount when the paladin is 15th level. Seems pretty reasonable to me.

CRGreathouse

Community Supporter
Artoomis said:
My opinion? They should get the saves, BAB skills and feats of a Magical Beast. The net gain will be +3 BAB, 8 skill points and two feats for the mount when the paladin is 15th level. Seems pretty reasonable to me.

I agree, that would be a reasonable house rule.

frankthedm

First Post
thanks for the responces.

Caliban, I was refering to the trample feat, not overun, sorry I miss typed that.

Last edited:

Remove ads