D&D 5E Does Aid stack?

So here's the spell description for Aid per the current Basic Rules pdf...

Aid (2nd-level abjuration)
Casting Time: 1 action
Range: 30 feet
Components: V, S, M (a tiny strip of white cloth)
Duration: 8 hours
Your spell bolsters your allies with toughness and resolve. Choose up to three creatures within range. Each target’s hit point maximum and current hit points increase by 5 for the duration.
At Higher Levels. When you cast this spell using a spell slot of 3rd level or higher, a target’s hit points increase by an additional 5 for each slot level above 2nd.

Aid is not a concentration spell and lasts a fixed 8 hours. Each target's HP Max and current HPs increase by 5 for the duration. Can this be cast multiple times on the same creature? I don't see such a limitation because the HP max and current HPs increase per casting but don't seem to be otherwise bound. Conceivably a 20th level cleric, using all their available & applicable spell slots, could increase 3 creatures' HP Max + current HPs by 335. Is there a bound to this I'm missing?

jodyjohnson

Adventurer
Same effect from same spell doesn't stack. It is the only stacking rule.

Now if there were: Band Aid, Gator Aid, Lemon Aid, First Aid - those would all stack.

Staffan

Legend
Page 198, under Temporary Hit Points: "If you have temporary hit points and receive more of them, you decide whether to keep the ones you have or to gain the new ones."

Page 198, under Temporary Hit Points: "If you have temporary hit points and receive more of them, you decide whether to keep the ones you have or to gain the new ones."

Aid does not provide Temporary Hit Points. It increases your Hit Point Max. Subtle but key difference.

Pickles JG

First Post

Thanks for this. I have been wondering for ages how Armour of Agathys interacts with new HP from eg the Fiendish Warlock pact feature. Sadly it is the way I thought it should be not the way I have been allowed to play it :)

Remove ads