D&D 5E Does anyone else find Nova-ing is not a problem in 5e?

I haven't seen any problems. Maybe it's because my players are not min/max'ers and I don't encourage that type of play. But I have found that there are GM tools to deal with any of these types of things. In the end, all I would have to do (but have never had to do it) is simply say, "Doing X is ruining the fun, therefore you are not allowed to do it."

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
Healing spell issue may be due to monsters not finishing off fallen PCs.
Is Paladins burning through slots a problem?

I don't know if it's a problem, per se. I just see them using up their spell slots a lot, much more quickly than other characters.

Dausuul

Legend
The only possible issue is that short-rest, non-nova-capable classes may look weak by comparison.
That is, and has always been, the issue with going nova. The DM's power is unlimited; it is always possible to build an encounter to challenge any given PC. The question is what will happen to the rest of the party in that encounter.

The problem is much less extreme in 5E than it was in 3E, but it still exists. My party includes a cleric and a warlock. If I don't give the warlock a couple of short rests to recover his spell slots, he's greatly overshadowed by the cleric.

And shifting them to more of a long rest dependent, nova-capable design fixes that.
If you fix the system, then the system is fixed. That doesn't change the fact that you had to fix it.

Last edited:

Mephista

Adventurer
I've not seen a problem with these classes.
I didn't say they were a problem. I said they were designed to nova against single targets. Slight difference.

Why doesn't the D&D game (with feats enabled) allow the Greatclub or Javelin or Flail or Morningstar user... or the board and sword, the dual-wielder or the rapier-and-cape fighter, to be truly great at combat... that's the real mystery to me.
Dunno what you talkin' bout. Sheild Mastery for the sword and board-er is full of awesome. Dual wielder is admittedly lackluster and needs to be scrapped and a new feat for TWFing enabled. But TWFing in general is kind of frowned on in the game in general, because Rogue, apparently.

The Weapon Master feats, with the exception of two weapon fighting's feat, are pretty awesome all around. And we just playtested a bunch more for hammers and flails and stuff. So, whenever Big Book o' Mechanics Stuff comes out, we'll probably see them.

S'mon

Legend
If you fix the system, then the system is fixed. That doesn't change the fact that you had to fix it.

But at least it's fixable. Like in 4e, the problems with monster design are fixable. Conversely in 3e I can't just wave my wand and fix it, the problems with 3e class imbalance are too deep.

But TWFing in general is kind of frowned on in the game in general, because Rogue, apparently.

Have not heard of that. TWF for a rogue is kind of a weak use of a bonus action considering what else they can be used for. Its nice having a a 2nd weapon in case the primary attack is a miss but other than that, being able to dash, disengage, or hide is a much better option than a weak 2nd attack.

Mephista

Adventurer
Have not heard of that. TWF for a rogue is kind of a weak use of a bonus action considering what else they can be used for. Its nice having a a 2nd weapon in case the primary attack is a miss but other than that, being able to dash, disengage, or hide is a much better option than a weak 2nd attack.
Well, I meant more that its kind of lackluster outside of Rogue. The writers kind of broke it when messing around with the Rogue. And, even in Rogue, there are times when there are far better options.

CapnZapp

Legend
But that's not how you play it.

If your first action hits, sneak payload is delivered, and you can dash, disengage, hide or whatever.

If your first action misses, you get a second shot at delivering your payload.

Comparing rogue actions to a weak 2nd attack is making TWF much weaker than it is. (Do not let the fact that actual TWF:ing is weak muddle that. The real power option as regards to spending your bonus action on an extra attack - which TWF is all about - lies in a different feat, which gives you the TWF fighting style, the TWF feat benefit AND incredible range all in one package... that is the Crossbow Expert feat; essentially two-weapon fighting for ranged Rogues, despite how it specifically does not work with twin hand crossbows... Complicated? biggrin.gif)

jayoungr

Legend
Supporter
3 attacks, with advantage & d8 extra from superiority die, +3d6 for dragonslayer? Did she have Greatweapon Fighter? crit?
I don't remember all the details, but I know she Action Surged.

ETA: Also, my group doesn't include a paladin or barbarian.

Remove ads