Does Green Ronin's The Psychic's Handbook work as a standalone Psionics supplement?

johnsemlak

First Post
Could The Psychic's Handbook work as a replacement for either the Psi Hb or the ExPsiHb to provide psionics in a standard D&D game?

Sir Whiskers

First Post
johnsemlak said:
Could The Psychic's Handbook work as a replacement for either the Psi Hb or the ExPsiHb to provide psionics in a standard D&D game?

We're testing it right now in a on-off the GM is running, and you don't need any other books to use it for psionic characters. That said, there are balance issues that you'll want to address up front - some of the powers can quickly get over-the-top unless you enforce some rather significant limitations on them.

Cymex666

First Post
Depending on whether or not I like the Expanded Psionics Handbook, I may end up using the Psychic's Handbook as the default rules set for powers of the mind in my game.

Razuur

First Post
It is perfect.

If you hate 3e psionics, this is the book for you because it really "feels" like psychic powers.

If you like 3e Psionics, then you can still use this for "Psychics" vs Psioniscists.

It is much more subtle, and a lot more iconic.

You could make someone who reads minds, to a telekinetic, to a pyrotechnic, to characters with powers from Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon. And much more!

Well worth the price.

Razuur

Greg K

Legend
The Psychic's Handbook can not only replace either book, but it can also be used as a supplement for d20 Modern.

I would definitely recommend the Psychic's Handbook over the Psionics Handbook and, based upon the WOTC previews, the Expanded Psionics Handbook as well. The reason being, as Razuur wrote, the Psychic's Handbook definitlely feels like psychic powers.

Ghostwind

First Post
The Psychic's Handbook has replaced the Psionics Handbook in my campaign. There are a few power issues in terms of the powers, but just raise the DCs and it quickly balances out. I love the book. Certainly in my Top 5 of the year.

Ranger REG

Explorer
I think the more we get the word out on the Psychic's Handbook and its skill-n-feat Psychic System, the more it will upstage the release of Expanded Psionic's Handbook with its "almost-like-spells" Psionic System, as well as Bruce Cordell (he's being replaced by Steve Kenson, of Mutants & Masterminds fame).

Hehehe. :]

Remove ads