D&D 3E/3.5 Does Magic of Incarnum and 3e's Tome of Magic and Tome of Battle have a place in 5e?

Eubani

Legend
I liked the flavour and design ideas for Shadowcaster but it just could not compare with other casters nor stand as a party's solo caster. I saw 1d4 non lethal damage then looked on and on as it was all as equally weak. It seemed as if the designer was being overly timid and too scared that they might accidentally create another wizard or codzillar thus went completely the other direction thus creating something that would just gather dust. Idea good, flavour awesome, mechanics interesting, execution.......weaksauce, if it wasn't for the previous mentioned positives I would say something like rethink career. I wanted to love it, I wanted to love playing it, I would of caused problems for the party by taking it. Maybe it was fixable but I was at that point tired of being disappointed and didn't want to pay for a book then finish a "professionals" work. In regards to 3.X how does someone put the Monk and the Wizard in the same book and A. Be called Professional and B. Remain employed.

Last edited:

Satyrn

First Post
[MENTION=6683613]TheCosmicKid[/MENTION], that is really cool, neat flavor.

That would've added to the awesomeness of the Tome of Magic.

gyor

Legend
One issue with Binders is that while they got absorbed in 4e into warlocks because it's also called Pact Magic, Binders are really more Possession Magic then Pact Magic like a warlock, so the Vestiages pact simply didn't share the flavour of the original Binder, Warlocks sell stuff like their souls or services, Binders sell the partial use of their bodies for a time.

If the Warlock is sort of a Sex Worker figure (literally in some cases, selling sex for magic is far better then selling your soul by far for magic, and there is a character in D&D who does just that, Caisys from the Brimstone Angels series of novels), then the Binder is the one who rents her womb, surrogate mother of sorts.

Last edited:

Remove ads