D&D (2024) Does Primal Knowledge affect Passive Perception?

Stalker0

Legend
With primal knowledge, a barb can use strength for perception checks. Does that mean their passive perception would also change to use strength?

And then take it 1 step further. A 20th level barb with Indomitable Might and 26 strength would have a minimum perception check of 26...but a passive perception (assuming you can use strength for this) of +24. So would the passive actually increases to 26 in that case?

Vael

Legend
... Without double checking the rules, my inclination is to say no, because for me, a passive score is not a check. It's why a beast with "keen senses" that gives advantage on checks doesn't have a higher passive perception. Only an active roll would work with Primal Knowledge.

Horwath

Legend
With primal knowledge, a barb can use strength for perception checks. Does that mean their passive perception would also change to use strength?

And then take it 1 step further. A 20th level barb with Indomitable Might and 26 strength would have a minimum perception check of 26...but a passive perception (assuming you can use strength for this) of +24. So would the passive actually increases to 26 in that case?
yes and yes.

passive is just "taking 10" from previous edition.

and if the minimum check is 26, then minimum check is 26.

Horwath

Legend
... Without double checking the rules, my inclination is to say no, because for me, a passive score is not a check. It's why a beast with "keen senses" that gives advantage on checks doesn't have a higher passive perception. Only an active roll would work with Primal Knowledge.
yet in the rules it is clearly stated that if you have advantage on a check, you add +5 to passive score.

Horwath

Legend
Although now that I think about it, I'm not even sure passive perception will exist in 2024 with the new hiding and search rules from the glossary.
DC should still be based on Passive perception not 15 as some arbitrary number.
maybe just keep 15 as minimum, but I do not see why?
To protect someone that dumped wis for their character and not bothered to train Perception?

Those characters should be sneaked attacked on regular basis.

Vael

Legend
yet in the rules it is clearly stated that if you have advantage on a check, you add +5 to passive score.
TIL that. Honestly, between group checks and at least one PC tends to have expertise in Perception, I barely bother hiding things anymore.

I am not sure that passive perception will survive the edition upgrade.

I somehow feel they will instead do something different as it has caused too much confusion.

Stealth for example now is just a DC 15 check.

Although now that I think about it, I'm not even sure passive perception will exist in 2024 with the new hiding and search rules from the glossary.
Beat me to it. I really think passive scores are phased out.
I think everything that was skill vs passive score will become either "attacker's" skills vs static DC or "defender's" saving throw vs "Attacker's" DC.

Remove ads