• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Does teleportation negate falling damage?

keterys

First Post
It also allows a Feystep to negate a fall

What part of feystep, or any other teleportation ability, is so lackluster as to require making them more effective?

I mean, not that Tumble vs. Ethereal Stride isn't bad enough without also giving Ethereal Stride another boost...

Having teleport negate falling damage 'because it's cool' makes as much sense as having teleport allow you to stand from prone as a free action when you do it because it's cool...

Or to make yourself fall then teleport reversing the direction of fall, so that you can jump up higher... cause it's cool. Or makes sense.

Umm.

Adding complexity to the game for no reason.

Horatio

First Post
Kaffis said:
Any teleportation capable of such distance uses portals. The portal is an anchor to serve as a frame of reference for orientation, and is constructed (via the ritual) with such calculations in mind. Nearly all portals you'll ever see, for instance, are marked by circles on the ground. This prevents you from landing on your head when you teleport to the other hemisphere.

I was commenting the "Momentum is conserved. End of story. Speedy thing goes in, speedy thing comes out. Whatever you want. This shouldnt even be a topic honestly.", nothing else - as should be obvious via my quoting.

Thus, what I wrote is solely based on the fact, that the momentum IS conserved and what consequences would it impose, whereas I've never stated that it is/should/isn't/shouldn't be/conserved.

Please, next time you will quote me, add the whole "frame of reference" (e.g. what I was quoting), and do not use my post deliberately out of context to "sound right".

P.S. If you just missed my point, ignore the last paragraph, please.

Kaffis

First Post
Horatio said:
Thus, what I wrote is solely based on the fact, that the momentum IS conserved and what consequences would it impose, whereas I've never stated that it is/should/isn't/shouldn't be/conserved.

Please, next time you will quote me, add the whole "frame of reference" (e.g. what I was quoting), and do not use my post deliberately out of context to "sound right".

P.S. If you just missed my point, ignore the last paragraph, please.

And I've been arguing in this thread (well, I started after your post, but whatever) that momentum should be conserved. I was using your post, with its handy diagrams as to the consequences of that argument, to point out how I would mitigate the unsavory (to the plot-fun useability of long range teleportation) consequences.

If this board supported nested quoting (not a condemnation, as they can certainly get annoying when misused/not trimmed), I'd have quoted your context. I apologize if my own angle, and the reason I found your post a useful one to reply to (because it's a valid concern if you rule that momentum is conserved!), wasn't clear and, in its haziness, seemed to ascribe motives to you which you don't hold.

Moot discussion on conservation of momentum?

I don't know if this has been brought up, but the OP's initial question brings up a moot point...

The PC in question needed to use a move action to get into the pit in the first place. Walk, run, crawl, shift, whatever...to then teleport would need another move action, but a double move cannot consist of two different move actions...they'd both need to be the same.

So...no teleporting allowed in that situation, conservation of momentum or not.

Am I missing something?

A double move allows you to end the first move in a non-allowed space (like an ally's square) and then continue the second move. It does not mean you can't spend two different types of move actions in the same turn. You can walk with one move action and then teleport with another, but you have to end the walking in a legal "stop" spot.

editted for clarity

Last edited:

Rith the Wanderer said:
A double move allows you to end the first move in a non-allowed space (like an ally's square) and then continue the second move. It does not mean you can't spend two different types of move actions in the same turn. You can walk with one move action and then teleport with another, but you have to end the walking in a legal "stop" spot.

editted for clarity

PHB, pg. 284

"Same Move Action"

Not what the RAW state.

edit: that said, if you take two move actions in a turn, does it *have* to be considered a "Double Move"?

Last edited:

Spido

First Post
An option no one has brought up yet (afaik)...

Let the player decide if he wants to maintain momentum or not.

If he wants to get to the bottom of a deep pit (or to the street from the hightest spire in the city) and use teleport to land with style - let him do it!

If he wants to take a running leap at the sealed portculis, then teleport mid-leap and allow his momentum to carry him across the moat on the other side, causing the guard's jaws to drop in awed amazement - let him do it!

Let coolness be your guide. How does it benefit your game by restricting fun and creative uses of a power? Will your campaign crumble if a character can get to the bottom of a pit without suffering some damage (that will be almost immediately healed anyway)?

We need to start thinking like we're the writers of a blockbuster movie, not a tight-assed DM!

Cheers!
-Spido

Last edited:

Remove ads