• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Does the spell failure chance from armor apply to using scrolls?

0-hr

Starship Cartographer
Reading a scroll does not have a somatic component, and thus is not subject to spell failure from armor.

From the SRD:
Activate the Spell: Activating a scroll requires reading the
spell from the scroll. The character must be able to see and read
the writing on the scroll.
and nothing more...

niteshade6

First Post
By the PHB I would think it would, it says to use a scroll you still have to make the apropriate gestures and somatic components which would strongly imply arcane failure would apply.

However it's also worth noting that in the Living Greyhawk campaign, Skip Williams has a made an official ruling that there is no arcane spell failure for scroll use. Most of the rules people there disagree with that, but that does seem to be the official WoTC stance for the moment at least.

Merlion

First Post
Yea even if the PH does say that it wouldnt really make much sense to me. Things always talk about "reading" scrolls...it seems to me speaking whats written on the scroll would be enough..

0-hr

Starship Cartographer
niteshade6 said:
By the PHB, it says to use a scroll you still have to make the apropriate gestures and somatic components
Could you let me know the page for that (since it pretty much shoots down my argument)?

Grendel

First Post
DMG pg 175. under the heading 'spell completion'

it mentions "All that is left to do is perform the short, simple, finishing parts of the spell casting (the final gestures, words, and so on)." ...

This is the only reference to a somatic component. Draw your own conclusions. In the interest in game balance, I have ruled that it does require a somatic component, otherwise it makes the still spell feat pointless. And creates and unfair advantage for multi-classed wizards, sorcerers and bards.

rhammer2

First Post
No arcane falure with scrolls does not make the still spell feat useless. I costs both gold and XP to create a scroll.

Grendel said:
DMG pg 175. under the heading 'spell completion'

it mentions "All that is left to do is perform the short, simple, finishing parts of the spell casting (the final gestures, words, and so on)." ...

This is the only reference to a somatic component. Draw your own conclusions. In the interest in game balance, I have ruled that it does require a somatic component, otherwise it makes the still spell feat pointless. And creates and unfair advantage for multi-classed wizards, sorcerers and bards.

Remove ads