• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Does the spell failure chance from armor apply to using scrolls?

Grendel

First Post
DMG pg 175. under the heading 'spell completion'

it mentions "All that is left to do is perform the short, simple, finishing parts of the spell casting (the final gestures, words, and so on)." ...

This is the only reference to a somatic component. Draw your own conclusions. In the interest in game balance, I have ruled that it does require a somatic component, otherwise it makes the still spell feat pointless. And creates and unfair advantage for multi-classed wizards, sorcerers and bards.

niteshade6

First Post
Well it does certainly say you need to make the final gestures, which is exactly what somatic components are.

The biggest unbalancing factor of having no arcane failure with scrolls is that it makes it extremely attractive for any character to take a level of wizard in order to read shield scrolls. In Living Greyhawk, I've lost track of how many characters of seen who took a level of wizard after the no arcane spell failure on scrolls rule was made, and it makes them MUCH more powerful.

In 3.5 that may balance out though with shield being balanced alot more.

sierzadon

First Post
From the FAQ:

"
Is an armor-clad character who can use arcane scrolls
subject to the spell failure chance from armor when using
an arcane scroll? What about other magic items?

Arcane spell failure doesn’t apply when you’re activating a
magic item—not even a scroll.
"

Question answered?

Ferox4

First Post
niteshade6 said:
Well it does certainly say you need to make the final gestures, which is exactly what somatic components are.

The biggest unbalancing factor of having no arcane failure with scrolls is that it makes it extremely attractive for any character to take a level of wizard in order to read shield scrolls. In Living Greyhawk, I've lost track of how many characters of seen who took a level of wizard after the no arcane spell failure on scrolls rule was made, and it makes them MUCH more powerful.

In 3.5 that may balance out though with shield being balanced alot more.

I don't think it's that unbalancing. You can't predicate your argument on one spell (Shield). Scrolls still provoke AoOs and cost XP, gold and time - an entire day. Preparing a Stilled spell takes very little time.

Besides, if a fighter takes a level in Wizard they are sacrificing BAB, HD, feats, Fort and Reflex saves and skill points. There's your elusive "balance."

And yes, 3.5.1 will address the Shield spell and balance the spell better.

Cheers

0-hr

Starship Cartographer
Ah good, glad to know I've been playing it correctly. I don't see a "final geture" as six seconds worth of complicated somatics - and certainly not enough to be hampered by armor. I would maybe have just the shadow of doubt were it not for the FAQ.

True, it's not official erratta - but when I'm am weighing up two possibilities, it certainly lends weight to the one side. In this case, that was the favored side already and so, indeed, the question is answered (for me).

Antikinesis

First Post
niteshade6 said:
Yep that's the Skip Williams ruling I was refering to. Generaly considered to be wrong, but still official.
Funny... my recollection from my readings on this board is that Skip's ruling [edit] on this matter [/edit] is generally considered to be correct.

The rules are pretty clear... arcane failure penalty applies to casting spells. Activating a scroll is NOT the same thing as casting a spell. Skip's got it right.

As far as balance is concerned... taking a level of wizard to get the ability to cast first-level spells is not really any more unbalancing than a level of ranger for the TWF feats, or monk for the unarmed benefits, or any other heavily front-loaded class.

-AK

Last edited:

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
The rules are pretty clear... arcane failure penalty applies to casting spells. Activating a scroll is NOT the same thing as casting a spell. Skip's got it right.

I guess when I read "Using a scroll is basically like casting a spell", "All that's left is to perform the short, simple, finishing parts of the spellcasting (the final gestures, words, and so on)", and "Activating a scroll spell requires no material components or focus", I see three points.

1. Like casting a spell.
2. Verbal and Somatic components mentioned specifically.
3. Material components and foci specifically excluded.

If a quickened spell is subject to arcane failure, why should reading a scroll ('basically like casting a spell', with 'the final gestures required') not also be?

-Hyp.

LokiDR

First Post
From what I recal on whether people here like the ruling or not, it was split. In the end, I think more were in favor of no spell failure than thought it should be there.

One interesting point from that last discussion is rogues. IIRC, use magic device never suffers from spell failure chance, including scrolls. It seems that if you believe scrolls should have spell failure chance, it should apply to UMD as well. I don't have a reference on that though. A reminder of the passage would be appreciated :)

As for balance, i would prefer more multi-classing. I see high level casters as outpacing fighter types. Adding a little magic to the fighters, or convincing the wizard to "get some exercise" and get a fighter level seems to be a good idea to me.

Remove ads