• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Does this setting exist?

jdrakeh

Front Range Warlock
Technomancer said:
The Codex of Erde from Troll Lord Games is their D&D (and now C&C) setting, and it is mostly description/fluff. There are rules at the end of the book for modifying races and classes, but most of the book is setting description.

It's on sale right now for $10

I already own a copy (or did until recently). And I'd forgotten about it! D'oh! That said, the setting is apparently undergoing some rather subtantial changes at the moment, so if I go that route I'd prefer to wait until the new edition is released.

Last edited:

Deuce Traveler

Adventurer
Technomancer said:
The Codex of Erde from Troll Lord Games is their D&D (and now C&C) setting, and it is mostly description/fluff. There are rules at the end of the book for modifying races and classes, but most of the book is setting description.

It's on sale right now for $10

I have this, and concur. It's an enjoyable book. I think of it as DnD meets Charlemagne's kingdom.

Treebore

First Post
jdrakeh said:
I already own a copy (or did until recently). And I'd forgotten about it! D'oh! That said, the setting is apparently undergoing some rather subtantial changes at the moment, so if I go that route I'd prefer to wait until the new edition is released.

Yep, the Trolls have learned to do much better lay out and organization, which is the "flaw" of the Erde book, and many TLG products. So they are re-doing the material as the default setting for C&C, but free of mechanics.

Settings I like that I think probbaly fit your criteria (and second the opinion of several others), is Codex of Erde, Wilderlands, Iron Kingdoms World Guide Volume 2, Blackmoor, and Castle Zagyg Vol. 1 Yggsburgh. The new Goodman Games Known World fits too, I think.

Even though you would have to use a lot of rules to really use the setting as it is meant to be used, I was surprised by how much I like Dawnforge.

I have always loved Harn. The fan submissions have just made it that much more awesome. I just never liked the rules system they made to go with it.

Ceresco

First Post
jdrakeh said:
Is there another D&D or d20/OGL fantasy setting akin to Kingdoms of Kalamar? Specifically, is there another D&D or d20/OGL fantasy setting that is 98% description and 02% rules content?

I'm not so interested in classes, feats, skills, etc -- I want rich, vivid, descriptions of the setting itself, not three chapters of rules and sixty pages of scattered mechanical references (obviously, this immediately makes things like Eberron a non-option).

Finally, and this is important -- I must be able to pick up/order this product from the FLGS. This means no PDFs or POD stuff (much as I'd like to snag a copy of Murchad's Legacy, financial difficulties prevent me from oredring things online).

So, what settting am I looking for?

Try to find a copy of the Codex Arcanis. It is 98% setting and 2% setting specific mechanics. Nothing ground breaking in the mechanics, just flavor kind of things.

PCI, the publishers of the Codex Arcanis also have a good set of books describing various areas in more deatail. They tend to follow the more traditional route of setting, classes, skills, feats and spells, but they are always well setperate and the story content is worth the price alone.

Respectfully,

Edward Kopp: Arcaniac at Large

Kid Charlemagne

I am the Very Model of a Modern Moderator
Iron Kingdoms has some rules stuff in their CHaracter Guide, but their World Guide is 100% fluff, IIRC. Good stuff, if the introduction of firearms, etc doesn't automatically cross it off your list.

jollyninja

First Post
now, granted, I'm not done reading it yet but The atlas for warlords of the accordlands has yet to hit me with a single piece of crunch, there's a whole other book for that. It's fairly well written and has some interesting setting information.

http://www.warlordrpg.com/products.html

don't seem to be any reviews on the site

I like it so far, cool takes on old races, couple new ones in there, cool religions, interesting backstories. I like it. Guess I'll have to review it myself

Mark Plemmons

Explorer
jdrakeh said:
Is there another D&D or d20/OGL fantasy setting akin to Kingdoms of Kalamar? Specifically, is there another D&D or d20/OGL fantasy setting that is 98% description and 02% rules content?

I'm not so interested in classes, feats, skills, etc -- I want rich, vivid, descriptions of the setting itself, not three chapters of rules and sixty pages of scattered mechanical references (obviously, this immediately makes things like Eberron a non-option).

Finally, and this is important -- I must be able to pick up/order this product from the FLGS. This means no PDFs or POD stuff (much as I'd like to snag a copy of Murchad's Legacy, financial difficulties prevent me from oredring things online).

So, what settting am I looking for?

Kingdoms of Kalamar. ;)

Gundark

Explorer
Kid Charlemagne said:
Iron Kingdoms has some rules stuff in their CHaracter Guide, but their World Guide is 100% fluff, IIRC. Good stuff, if the introduction of firearms, etc doesn't automatically cross it off your list.

While I was beaten to the post, I will add that the IK can be played without the guns and steam stuff. The IKWG is huge and a great book on the setting (and like mentioned 100% fluff).

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads