• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Does this setting exist?

jdrakeh

Front Range Warlock
jollyninja said:
now, granted, I'm not done reading it yet but The atlas for warlords of the accordlands has yet to hit me with a single piece of crunch, there's a whole other book for that. It's fairly well written and has some interesting setting information.

http://www.warlordrpg.com/products.html

don't seem to be any reviews on the site

I like it so far, cool takes on old races, couple new ones in there, cool religions, interesting backstories. I like it. Guess I'll have to review it myself

Actually, I just traded off a whole set of the WotA books (plus an extra Master Codex). It was brilliant, mind you, but not quite what I was looking for.

DMH

First Post
jdrakeh said:
much as I'd like to snag a copy of Murchad's Legacy, financial difficulties prevent me from oredring things online

Aren't you a staff reviewer for rpgnow? Why not ask the author for a free copy in exchange for a review?

jdrakeh

Front Range Warlock
Thanks for the responses, everybody. It looks like I'm leaning toward the IK World Guide or Arcanis at this time.

[Note: Regarding Harn, I like and am familiar with it, though I can neither easily obtain it via the FLGS, nor is it a very good fit for D&D.]

jdrakeh

Front Range Warlock
DMH said:
Aren't you a staff reviewer for rpgnow? Why not ask the author for a free copy in exchange for a review?

I'm on the Staff Review roster at RPGNow and was the Head Reviewer, though I'm no longer officially serving in either capacity. Currently my review queue is full up with hardcopy products, to boot.

Kae'Yoss

First Post
I got nothing. The two settings (apart from FR) I like most both have their share of rules and change the basics quite a bit, but both have awesome fluff.

One is Midnight, which changes magic, all the races, and all classes that have anything supernatural going on (spells, spell-like abilities, and the like). The game world is described in great detail, fine stuff to read.

The other is Rokugan, which is based on asian themes and has samurai, shugenja and the like, so many classes are new. Plus, there's practically only humans, and honour (and status and glory) replace alignment. I must say, though, that the supplements are much lighter on rules (well, most are), the fluff is superb, there's always story snippets at the beginning of a chapter.

jdrakeh

Front Range Warlock
diaglo said:
:confused: :confused: :confused:

i've been using Harn for well over 2 decades in my OD&D campaign

Without extensive house-ruling? I couldn't figure out how consolidate HarnWorld's default Athiestic worldview with D&D holy magic (this was back in AD&D days). Drove me nuts. I suppose I could have just ignored that aspect of HarnWorld, but that's part of why I liked the setting to begin with, thus that wasn't an option for me. Also, explaining to players why there were only five or so kinds of "monsters" in the setting didn't go over very well, IME (players kind of expct there to be a whole lot of monsters in D&D). Of course, YMMV.

At any rate, the most obvious reason that HarnWorld isn't an option is that it doesn't meet the criteria in my original post. All else aside, it's incredibly hard to find in print anymore and expecting copies of every book in the game line to suddenly materialize at my FLGS is a bit like expecting Jesus to suddenly descend from heaven into my living room ;)

WayneLigon

Adventurer
jdrakeh said:
Without extensive house-ruling? I couldn't figure out how consolidate HarnWorld's default Athiestic worldview with D&D holy magic (this was back in AD&D days).

Harn's what? They have several gods in that setting plus discussions of your afterlife, various myths and tales of a few of the gods, etc. Priests of the various gods have spells and powers available to them from those gods, etc.

The Blue Rose: World of Aldea book doesn't have a great deal of rules-material in it. It mainly discusses culture and geography. What True20 content is in there should be fairly convertable back to D&D.

Tekumel is also a good idea; there have been systemless books done for it in the past. You might be able to find some of those in some FLGSs.

I think the Warhammer worldbook is relatively crunch-free. Most of it's unique elements should be easily adaptable in an evening.

Janx

Hero
Got no help for a product for you, but I get what your asking for.

All of the campaign worlds I make for my home games, are basically done in the style of what you're talking about. I don't create new rules, feats or classes for my worlds. I just find places for all the D&D races and classes to fit in my world (or I make a list of "what's in and where's it at"). Some might call that rules (can't be a druid, we don't have those...) but I think that's different then filling up a product with tons of new feats, classes, etc.

I've found, that this method works pretty well, it gets me all the fluff I need, and with the plethora of classes, feats, etc that already exist, I don't need to do any designing myself.

I should think that an OGC setting product that was just fluff, and strictly relied on SRD content would be possible.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads