• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Domains of Dread: Shadowrealm =/!= Shadowfell?

Graethynne

First Post
Only glanced at the new Dragon article briefly. It appears to retain the "prison for a powerful and evil being" vibe which is nice. I'm just not sure about the planar cosmology of it. Pocket dimensions? Isolated pieces of the Shadowfell? Something else?

If anyone knows I would love the info.

Gratzi,

Graydon

MrMyth

First Post
Only glanced at the new Dragon article briefly. It appears to retain the "prison for a powerful and evil being" vibe which is nice. I'm just not sure about the planar cosmology of it. Pocket dimensions? Isolated pieces of the Shadowfell? Something else?

Isolated spot in the Shadowfell seems to be the idea - a region that was dragged over / mirrored from the actual world into a dark reflection in the Shadowfell, surrounded by (mostly) inescapable mists. It seems a remarkably good fit for preserving the original flavor while making it work effectively with the new setting.

hawkwing2k5

First Post
Reminds me of Ravenloft before the campy need to include all hollywood iconic style monsters. Dracula Werewolf, Frankenstine, Boo berry and a boat load of undead.

Kesh

First Post
Especially after the "Weekend in the Realms" adventure, I'm getting a definite Silent Hill vibe from the Shadowfell. And I mean Otherworld, aka blood and chains Silent Hill, not just the foggy version of the town.

-Avalon-

First Post
Last time someone asked me to describe shadowfell in one sentence, my answer was a simple:

Jack the Ripper would be an Upstanding citizen.

DMZ2112

Chaotic Looseleaf

My understanding is that the Domains of Dread are places that are in both the material plane and in the Shadowfell, simultaneously. The planes overlap one another, and create a new kind of environment.

To put it another way:

Especially after the "Weekend in the Realms" adventure, I'm getting a definite Silent Hill vibe from the Shadowfell. And I mean Otherworld, aka blood and chains Silent Hill, not just the foggy version of the town.

The Otherworld, blood and chains Silent Hill is the Shadowfell, and the foggy town Silent Hill is the Domain of Dread.

Personally, I think this is a pretty awesome reinvention of a D&D staple.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads