• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 3E/3.5 Domination in 4E vs. 3E

Timeboxer

Explorer
Just something interesting I noticed.

3.5E Dominate Person:

Once you have given a dominated creature a command, it continues to attempt to carry out that command to the exclusion of all other activities

4E Dominated Condition (from KotS):

• You are dazed: You provide combat advantage, you can only take one action per round (but can still take free actions), and you can't take immediate/opportunity actions.
  • Your controller can choose the one action you take, but any powers it uses must be at-wills.

But notice that you can still take free actions, such as talking, even while dominated. This leads to the following tantalizing implication: That rather than being completely mind-controlled, you might be fully aware of what you're doing (attacking your allies) but are powerless to stop it.

AllisterH

First Post
Amy Kou'ai said:
Just something interesting I noticed.

3.5E Dominate Person:

Once you have given a dominated creature a command, it continues to attempt to carry out that command to the exclusion of all other activities

4E Dominated Condition (from KotS):

• You are dazed: You provide combat advantage, you can only take one action per round (but can still take free actions), and you can't take immediate/opportunity actions.
  • Your controller can choose the one action you take, but any powers it uses must be at-wills.

But notice that you can still take free actions, such as talking, even while dominated. This leads to the following tantalizing implication: That rather than being completely mind-controlled, you might be fully aware of what you're doing (attacking your allies) but are powerless to stop it.

Wait....Isn't this how dominate has ALWAYS functioned (I knew we played it like this in 1E/2E and kept on playing it like that in 3.x)

RSKennan

Explorer
I mostly like it.

I know why they don't want the dominator to be able to use per encounter abilities, etc, but it seems a bit like cheese.

Oh well, I guess I have to get with the paradigm.

Timeboxer

Explorer
AllisterH said:
Wait....Isn't this how dominate has ALWAYS functioned (I knew we played it like this in 1E/2E and kept on playing it like that in 3.x)

If it did, why would you even need to use Sense Motive to determine that they're being dominated if they could just tell you both that they were and who did it?

AllisterH

First Post
Amy Kou'ai said:
If it did, why would you even need to use Sense Motive to determine that they're being dominated if they could just tell you both that they were and who did it?

*BLINKS*

Well, I'm be a monkey's uncle. You're right...What the hell were we looking at. *runs to 2E PHB and checks* eh, the 2E PHB is unclear about this so it means we were running a houe rule version for 8 YEARS?

*LOL*

Remove ads