• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 3E/3.5 Domination in 4E vs. 3E

ZombieRoboNinja

First Post
I'm thinking that has to be a mistake. Dropping your weapon is a free action, isn't it? It'd kind of undercut the point of Dominating someone if they could instantly drop their weapons and become useless to the dominator.

Timeboxer

Explorer
ZombieRoboNinja said:
I'm thinking that has to be a mistake. Dropping your weapon is a free action, isn't it? It'd kind of undercut the point of Dominating someone if they could instantly drop their weapons and become useless to the dominator.

I was thinking about that, actually -- I believe it was previously stated that dropping weapons is a free action. I'll be curious to see what the RAW says on domination.

Fallen Seraph

First Post
You can only take one Free Action per-turn right? So you couldn't just have the weapon be picked up again?

Also, it wouldn't be that hindering. Besides for Ranged, most Martial Powers can work Unarmed and any kind of magic obviously can work.

Vaeron

Explorer
ZombieRoboNinja said:

Meaning there are no unarmed attacks in 4E? First I'd heard of that.

That One Guy

First Post
A person can still be forced to use their at-wills w/ unarmed attacks. That could be both cruel and fun in some situations (especially if you play up someone's knuckles getting bloody on their friend's armour. That would be miserable. I like it).

Although, I think NPCs shouldn't be fully aware that they're being dominated. It just sounds like more fun that way too.

Timeboxer

Explorer
Fallen Seraph said:
You can only take one Free Action per-turn right? So you couldn't just have the weapon be picked up again?

You get as many free actions as the GM allows, both on your turn and on anybody else's turn. Though you could consider a free action on someone else's turn an "interrupt action", so you wouldn't be able to take it.

Also, picking up a weapon is a minor action I think.

Nikosandros

Golden Procrastinator
Incenjucar said:
This was clearly intended to allow you to take free actions which are beneficial to your dominator.
I agree. I see nothing implying that the free actions are not under the control of the dominator.

Lizard

Explorer
AllisterH said:
Wait....Isn't this how dominate has ALWAYS functioned (I knew we played it like this in 1E/2E and kept on playing it like that in 3.x)

In our games, when someone's dominated/mind controlled, they generally roleplay being the servant of their new "best friend" to the hilt, and if told "Kill him!", will do so using their best tactics/abilities, instead of trying to wuss out and swap weapons to a nerf bat wielded in their off hand. Meanwhile, everyone else is trying to take him down with non-lethal attacks. Makes for a challenging game.

Remove ads