Doom from Below: The Illithid Ascension (Last Updated: 1-1-03)

Phasmus

First Post
Greetings and welcome to The Vitis Campaign story hour. Here will be recounted the story of a group of adventurers forced to contend with a world plunged into turmoil...

Enjoy.

---

"Eh? What's this? If you've come here for a story, or a tale, then you can turn around and leave right now. This is a library, a place of learning...not a receptacle for fantasies and the foolish claptrap of addled youths and romantics.

Hmm? Ohhh! A history! Well that's an entirely different matter! Have a seat then and I'll tell you what I can, though what you're asking about is a dark and murky time, even now. Yes...the Dread Ascension, or Illithid Uprising...many names, but only a single, terrible time. Is it over now? An interesting question...one can only hope.

But here, sit and look at the Viewing Stone. It will show you where it began. See it now as it was then...and never will be again. There are the spiraled towers and crenellated walls of Caronalon, capital of the nation of Caron and oldest of its cities. Those sculpted walls may look just for show now...but they speak of a long and brutal history. Caron was forged from lands taken inch by bitter inch from the orcs and goblins, driving them into Ogonek of course...but I digress. Founded by the might of its armies, kept through skillful diplomacy between the haughty mages of westward Cedilla, and the dry technocrats of eastbound neighbor Macron, the Caronites forged a kingdom that would dominate the entire continent of Kaldonia. The work of ten kings in sequence, raised over centuries...

...smashed in a single night, in the Uprising.

But look now, and see the story unfold..."

--

Over the light forested plains of south central Cedilla a storm brewed uneasily. It was typical of the weather that settled over the land in the early springtime...gusting in spastic fits and starts, dying just as unpredictably. It was a storm that didn't know its own strength, but seemed to fear what it was capable of. Or perhaps it feared what it now passed over. The woods were not heavily populated even in the best of times, and no one went this far south in them. There were whispers of hauntings, of strange voices and stranger sights...those who ventured too far were never seen again. Unknown to any who still lived, there was a ring of clear ground in the heart of the forest; a ring in which nothing living save witless grass and a few dry shrubs made homes. Birds never sang in the sky above, and the earth here was devoid of burrowing moles, even worms and grubs. This was the alfheidar; the Hallowed Ground. Unbroken and flat, except for the rearing hulks of ancient stonework bleached stark white in uncounted millenea of sun and rain. Scattered without apparent design or purpose, like unmarked dice carelessly thrown from the heavens to take root in this sacred ground. Elsewhere jutted crumbling fluted pillars and remnants of still greater buildings, now mouldering to their foundations. Skeletal fingers protruding from the soil as if scrabbling desperately to regain their fallen splendor.

Into this place so long forgotten stumbles a small line of figures. The first ones are humans, shambling against the suddenly howling wind. When skeletons arise out of piles of debris around them, they fight back with eerie silence, even as some of their number fall. Behind them lurch three taller, narrower forms. When they come out of the shadows of the trees, their writhing tentacular faces and hideous, glistening mauve skin leaves no question at all as to their species...even if the slack, perpetually distracted expressions on the faces of their companions did not expose them first.

*The journey has been harder than anticipated,* spoke one, not with the nauseous flapping of oral cavities that thrall-races used, but with the erudite transmission of thought to thought.

Another one considered, and broadcast agreement. It's tentacles splayed momentarily, revealing the horribly sharp beak within. *Our resources dwindle. We must eat again, sooner than planned.*

The third brushed a fallen twig off of it's undulating flesh. *Our mission will require the use of battle-thralls. Which among them is most expendable?*

As one, the three alien heads swiveled to regard three thralls that were just then emerging behind. One, a powerfully built human who had been a priestess. Another, a halfling whose small size and relative lack of strength were causing him to suffer more from the storm than the others. And finally, a human sorceress, chosen for her magic abilities, but in reality far too inexperienced to be of much use.

Further agreement was not necessary. The solution was clear. The three bodies were casually dumped in front of the first crypt and then forgotten. But One saw, and did not forget...

--

Shayuri, Piklum, and Shar awoke inside a dank, dark crypt. This was perhaps not especially surprising, since all of them had vivid memories of being slain and consumed by their illithid masters. They quickly noticed however that the mortal realm was wispy and insubstantial...like a construct of fog. While Shar immediately knelt in supplication to her deity, Delta, and begged to understand why she was not now in the goddess' domain, the halfling Piklum and sorceress Shayuri explored the extent of their new surroundings. They found that while stone was no bar to them, that there was something in the stone that blocked them. There seemed to be no escape. Before they could do more than register this though, a trap door in the ceiling opened.

Through the door, came an angel.

Or so it first seemed. In fact, the 'angel' was a luminous elfin creature, who despite her ethereal nature seemed perfectly capable of manipulating 'solid' objects.

"I am Shankara," she said in a voice drenched with sadness and hope, "And I need your help."

The three spirits looked at each other, then at Shankara...and all struggled to speak at once, ranging from polite requests for information, to raving demands for explanations. The ephemeral elf simply smiled her sad little smile and spoke again...her voice effortlessly cutting through the clamor.

"I apologize for this. I realize it must come as a shock to you all. You must know though that what I must ask of you would be impossible if you were in your natural forms. I have returned your souls to the material plane as ghosts, and after you do me the service I must ask, I will return you to your full lives. I am truly sorry, but there is no other option for me but to do this."

This time the sorceress spoke first, gliding forward and quickly blurting, "What 'service' are you demanding?" before anyone else could interrupt. The other two seemed content with that question, and they all waited for Shankara's reply.

The elf seemed oddly uncomfortable. "I am the guardian of this place," she said simply. "Three of those you call mind flayers invaded it earlier, with their minions. I was able to dispose of them all." She paused, then added, "All but one. That one escaped. Worse still...it has glimpsed what it is that I guard. Should it find its way back to the others, they will stop at nothing to obtain it. My powers are great, but not enough to withstand the full might of the illithid. Your task is to find the illithid that escaped and slay it before it can warn the others."

"Why," growled Shar belligerantly, "don't YOU slay it? If your 'powers' are so great, what need have you for us?"

"I am tied to this tomb," Shankara replied, taking no insult at the priestesses tone.

"Sounds good to me," the halfling Piklum said cheerfully, floating in elaborate patterns. "Heck, you can just leave me like this after we're done if you want. Wheee!"

"Wait," Shayuri protested, "How are we to find this illithid? It's a big forest, and we can barely see the material plane."

Shankara nodded and gestured for the others to be still. "The one who walks still killed one of you. There is a bond between it and the one it killed...a bond of vengeance earned. Ghosts are very sensitive to that, and that one among you can follow it like a hound." On catching a look at the wildly soaring spectral halfing, she noted as well, "Be aware that this call of vengeance is all that holds your souls here in this ghostly shell. Once the mind flayer has fallen your onuses will be expiated, and you will begin to dissolve. If you have not returned here, so that your souls are returned to your bodies, you will pass on as you normally would have without my intervention."

Piklum stopped in midair and mulled that over. "Bummer."

"You all have supernatural abilities," Shankara went on, "That will enable you to enact your retribution. Do it, and return to me here, and you will live...truly live...once more. Are there any other questions?"

"I can feel it," Shar suddenly said, her expression darkening even on a face made from glowing ectoplasm. "It's the one that killed me!" She zoomed towards the trap door. "This way!"

Shayuri sighed and shrugged. "It seems there's no more time for questions. We'll see you soon, Shankara."

The three ghosts plunged out into the increasingly stormy night...

------------------------
To be Continued

Last edited:

Phasmus

First Post
Drawn ever onward by Shar's unbreakable tie to her slayer, three ghosts soared towards their quarry. As they did, a peculiar wrath began bubbling in each of them. The world was a dark mockery of its former self in their eyes, seeming twisted and wrong. Where once there had been life and flesh, now only the mind-grating coldness of negative energy percolated. Goodwill, compassion...all these things faded in the face of their new existances...for now, they existed only to destroy...

But they are not alone in these woods.

These are times of trouble, when death and slaughter are rampant in the cities of men, sending waves of negative energy outward in ever expanding ripples. The dead do not rest easily in these times...least of all in places already haunted by the unquiet spirits of creatures slain by the elven guardians, and more recently, by the mind flayers themselves...

The headlong pursuit is slowed as the three fallen catch sight of curious creatures ahead. They are composed of the same glowing white plasm they themselves are, and stand out in sharp focus against the ever-shifting waver of the material plane. But these are not human, nor anything like.

Sharp-eyed Piklum saw them first and pointed. "Look! What're those?"

Shayuri, her long hair floating around her head in an incandescent mane, as though underwater, paused as well. "They look like goblins," she ventured hesitantly. "Ghost goblins?"

Shar, for her part, merely snarled and accelerated, brandishing a spectral scythe that seemed to appear out of the substance of her form as she needed it. "Out of my way!" she bellowed.

The glowing goblins shrieked in defiance and two aimed crossbows at the descending priestess' shade. As Piklum and Shayuri realized that they too were armed with what weaponry they had possessed in life, the goblins fired! Shar's expectation of invulnerability was brutally shaken as a bolt pierced the shadowy armor she wore and punched deep into a shoulder. Heedless of the pain, she brought the wickedly curved edge of the scythe around. Even in the ethereal plane, it seemed to make a loud 'whooshing' sound as it cleaved through the space a goblin was standing in...leaving the startled creature to slide into two equal halves, both of which rapidly lost cohesion and faded into the ether. Shar cackled delightedly and turned to face another.

Now Piklum darted to one side, releasing an arrow as he did. Unfortunately the shot went wide, narrowly missing Shar as well.

Shayuri, armed only with a small dagger, decided to see if her magic would function in her present condition. Her voice seemed to swell pregnantly with arcane power as she incanted, and with a flick of her wrist released a single spark of bright magic force that deftly jinked around Shar and slammed into a goblin, staggering it, but not dropping it.

From there, the battle progressed swiftly. Shar took a shallow gash from a ghostly scimitar, but the remaining four goblins were quickly overpowered. The final one dropped in its tracks by Piklum as it tried to flee.

In the wake of combat, Piklum and Shayuri inspected Shar's wounds.

"Are you all right?" Shayuri asked delicately, brushing errant strands of hair away from her face.

Shar drew herself up proudly and scoffed. The scythe had mysteriously vanished as she stopped thinking about it. "I am better than all right. I am victorious!"

"Hey, does this hurt?" the irrepressible Piklum asked, poking at Shar's arm, where a livid gash split the ectoplasmic 'flesh.'

The cleric flinched back with a hiss, then looked at her arm, and at the arrow. "Trifling wounds," she blustered. "Delta's power will overcome them." She raised her hands in preparation.

"Hang on," Shayuri interrupted, earning an annoyed look from Shar. "We're ghosts now, right?"

"Yes. Briefly! And?"

"Well...I thought I remembered reading that healing magic hurts the undead," the sorceress mildly put forth. "So maybe instead of trying to heal yourself..."

"Hah!" Shar blurted quickly. "You think that fact was lost on me? That I am some kind of...imbecile? Delta's plague on you!" Yet, when she raised her hands again, she put them in a different position, and the beginnings of the incantation were different as well. Nevertheless, the influx of negative energy seemed to generate replacement plasm, drawing her wounds shut.

And so they continued, drawn onward by Shar's tether. It occurred to Shayuri to wonder what might have happened had the goblins 'killed' Shar. Somehow she doubted the dissolution would be permanant...but it would almost certainly allow the mind flayer time to escape them...

What was Shankara guarding anyway, that was so important?

But all such secondary thoughts were quickly swallowed whole when a shape loomed from the dim shadows of the material plane around them. None of them needed to see it clearly to know what it was. They had spent a year chained to the will of creatures like it...

As one, operating on murderous instinct, they parted the veil between worlds and fully entered the material plane as hovering translucent ghosts. Shar emitted another battle cry to Delta, and swept directly through the mind flayer, though doing no physical harm.

The illithid stopped in its tracks as something cold and awful raced through it. At first it seemed only an indistinct mist...but as it swooped back, the mind flayer recognized the face of its former thrall. Suddenly it realized the extent of the threat. It was stripped of its layers of thrall protection, and faced with an opponent that its mind-controlling powers were useless against! For the first time in a very long time, it knew fear. Tentacles writhing madly, it whirled to flee...and stopped.

Two MORE ghosts waited behind it.

Burbling wetly in panic, it splayed its facial tentacles, and the air churned with psionic power as it unleashed a telepathic screech, calculated to overwhelm the nervous system of lesser beings.

The ghosts did not flinch or waver. They approached, unholy hate burning in their eyes...their cold, dead eyes... The illithid turned about as the ghosts' hatred struck it with supernatural force, stripping its life away in chunks. It made a last, futile run for it...before stiffening under the combined assault of its spectral attackers. It released one last scream...a desperate note struck with both voice and mind echoing out...and then it crumpled to the ground, dead.

Shar whooped and brandished her scythe. "Die, vermin! Feel the wrath of Delta!!"

Suddenly there was a...relaxation within all three. A tension eased that none had been aware of before. They were done here. There was nothing left but the peace...the seductive peace of death that had been denied them.

"No!" shouted Shayuri. "Fight it! We have to get back!" Without a word, she launched herself back along the path they had come, followed closely by the other spirits.

The marathon was grueling. The material world was as indistinct as ever...but they had no bond to follow to lead them back! And all the while a white, glowing light seemed to be gently consuming them, beckoning to them with promises of rest at last. And they were tired. So tired...

It took several more minutes before they realized they were really quite hopelessly lost.

"You know?" Piklum said, watching his substance fade slowly away, "This isn't bad, really. Feels kinda nice."

"No," the sorceress repeated, though it lacked the force it had before. "I won't give up. I won't!"

Shar snorted. "I brought us here, I can bring us back. Trust in Delta's will."

"Delta's will?" Piklum chuckled teasingly. "Delta's will is all about chaos and randomness! For all you know she could will us all to die! Riiight?"

Shar fumed, but said, "Your words only demonstrate the depth of your ignorance, halfling."

"If only we had a bond to the chamber," Shayuri lamented. "We could..." She paused thoughtfully.

The halfling and armored priestess exchanged glances as Shayuri's gaze became unfocused...even for a dissolving ghost.

"Shay?" Piklum ventured. "You still there?"

"This way!" Shayuri cried, and soared off through the trees. "I can still sense my familiar! He's this way!"

Piklum shrugged and followed. Shar scowled, but also took off after them. After all, who was to say it wasn't Delta's will that the familiar link still operated in death?

What entered Shankara's tomb was less three ghosts than three foggy blobs of ectoplasm, held together by sheer will and fortune. They could not see the living world anymore. Everything was blotted out by the darkness of death on one side, and the horribly seductive brilliance of the Soul Road through the astral plane that would guide them to their eternal rest.

Shankara's voice was thick and distant, marred by their fading consciousnesses.

"quickly! ...to your bodies...i'll revive you..."

Acting on pure instinct, the ghosts of ghosts sank into the dead flesh of their bodies, where Shankara had placed them on stone slabs in preparation.

The darkness curled in on itself, forming a tunnel that led to a blaze of light. Voices echoed along the Road, welcoming, calling, as fragments of their lives played on the walls. Another voice was in the din too, incanting or somesuch...it didn't seem very important suddenly...

And then three names were spoken.

The tunnels vanished. The crypt reappeared. Blinking and groaning, the three adventurers sat up and looked around.

Shar slipped off the slab and squinted around in the gloom. "Shankara?" she called. Something wasn't right about this.

Piklum was next. He whistled shrilly and called, "Bunki! Where are you?" A ferret skittered around the corner from the outside corridor and darted into the room. Then it stopped, peering at Piklum curiously.

"Hey look," said Shayuri. "Dinner!"

"Don't you DARE," thundered Piklum vengefully. "If it wasn't for him, we'd have dissipated out in the...the..." he trailed off, staring at Shayuri in mounting horror.

Shayuri looked down at herself. "Oh wow," she said, staring at how she filled out the little thrall-blouse she was wearing.

Shar stared at both...and burst into laughter, surmising what must have happened.

And then there was another voice...a horrible grating voice, like bone on stone, grinding. What had appeared to be little more than a skeleton propped against the wall, half concealed by mouldering robes...moved. It scuttled into the center of the room and peered at Shayuri and Piklum through hollow eyesockets, each possessing a tiny spark of blue light deep inside.

"Oh dear," Shankara rasped. "That wasn't supposed to happen."

The three adventurers screamed.

----
To be Continued Again!

Phasmus

First Post
At this point, since our heroes are, well, alive...it may be a good time to provide some information on each of them and spare us all some expository dialogue.

Piklum is, as noted, a halfling. Possessing a certain cuteness rather than handsomeness, he wears scruffy clothing and a well-used suit of leather armor. Across one shoulder is slung a short bow (as if any other kind would do), and he carries a seemingly unending supply of daggers secreted here and there on his person. His goals and background are murky, but seem to involve revenging himself upon a crime syndicate that does 'business' all across Kaldonia. A peculiar motivation for such an otherwise happy-go-lucky person, and one wonders what more there is to the tale...

Shayuri is a young woman with the dark skin and subtly exotic features of one of the desert tribesmen that roam far off Tyjir. Despite this hint at a distant origin though, she is quite comfortable with local customs and language. Possessed of almost unearthly beauty, Shayuri's most striking feature is her eyes, which possess irises that are bright silver in color. She is uncommonly well-educated for a sorceror, having recieved magic tutelage from a wizard she refers to as Bernard. Her mind is methodical, but she must struggle with her passionate nature which sometimes overwhelms her with intuitions and violent mood swings. There are few people more pleasant to deal with than she...when she is in a good mood. Otherwise she has a biting tongue. Her goal is, at first, merely to survive in this newly hostile world.

The priestess Shar is a worshipper of Delta, a goddess of what might be considered 'chaos,' or Change in it's raw form. She is trained almost as much as a warrior as a cleric, possessing an almost amazonian physique. Her choice in weapons is as whimsical as the goddess she serves (a scythe), but Shar enjoys the intimidation value of the large curved blade atop a long pole. While Delta herself has no restrictions on the use of negative energy or the undead, Shar has decided that undead are fundamentally unchanging beings and thus antithetical to Delta's nature. Accordingly, she has chosen to draw positive energy despite her more or less amoral nature. Shar's motivation is, as always, to promote her goddess' will. Since the illithid are highly organized creatures, she has taken it upon herself to oppose them with near fanatic fervor.

And now, on with the story. Er...history.

The dual shocks of discovering that Shayuri and Piklum had inadvertantly entered the wrong bodies, and finding that Shankara looked very different to mortal eyes than to ethereal wore off over some long, tense minutes. Both Shayuri and Piklum alike were VERY interested in having the unfortunate accident reversed...but unfortunately, Shankara informed them that it wouldn't be that easy.

"Why not?" they both demanded, as Shar resumed chortling.

"I do know a spell that could do it, but I haven't cast it in...a very long time," the baelnorn replied. "I lack an essential component. A soul gem. Without it to house your souls as they pass between the bodies, you would be lost."

Shayuri slumped despairingly and looked at her freakishly small hands. Piklum said with a nonchalant smile, "So where do we get one of those?"

Shankara considered. "It is possible," she said at last, "that one of the other guardians here has something that would work." She dug into her robes with a skeletal hand as Shayuri looked up, hope returning to her halfling features. The lich produced a scrap of parchment and muttered a spell, causing words to flare into being upon it. "Take this to the custodian of the tomb you will find south and west of here. Count three doors south and turn west at the crumbled pillars that once were..." she trailed off for a moment, shook her head, and resumed, "then count two doors west from there. The third will be his. Show him this and he will provide what you need."

Shayuri leapt with halfling nimbleness off the slab she sat on and snatched the letter from Shankara. "Thank you!" she gushed. "We'll do that right now!"

Shar stretched. "I suppose I'll go too. Better than sitting around in here waiting."

Shankara raised an admonishing hand. "I would suggest being cautious. The ward that protects this place often causes the dead to become animated as lesser undead guardians. They are mindless, and will attack you as they would anything living that strays too close."

Piklum bristled and raised his (her) hands menacingly. "I'll use my magic to stop them!"

"That's MY magic!" Shayuri protested. "Here, take your stupid bow back. You can't use magic even in my body. You don't know how."

Perhaps a little bemused by the group's bickering, Shankara indicated the passage out with a wave of her bony hand. "The force walls that blocked this place are gone," she said. "You are free to leave."

Shayuri nodded from where she was transferring Piklum's weapons to him. "Thank you," she said sincerely.

"Yeah, thanks," Piklum echoed, trying to get the bow to sit right on Shayuri's unfamiliar body.

"Come on," Shar said impatiently, striding out towards the exit, "If we're to do this fool's errand, let us be quick about it."

It was something of a surprise when they emerged from the crypt into the light of day. Apparently the raising magic Shankara had performed wasn't as instant as most. At least the storm had passed though. Nervously the trio walked out across the scraggly grass that carpeted the necropolis, trying to look every direction at once. It was eerily silent there, but a persistant feeling of being watched hounded them. You are not welcome here, the shattered buildings seemed to hiss, leave or suffer the price. And yet, they continued. Southward, past three hulking crypts with solid doors, was indeed a small complex of broken pillars around what might have been a fountain, or sculpture.

"We turn west here," Shayuri said, pointing.

"Whatever," replied Shar, not particularly interested.

"Hey," Piklum said, turning around. "Do you guys hear anything?"

Now that the halfling-in-the-sorceress mentioned it...there WAS a slight noise. A peculiar clicking noise followed by a scrape. Click - scraaaaape. Click - scraaaape. Regular as...footsteps.

"Oh no," lamented Shayuri, feeling very out-of-sorts in this foreign flesh. Shar, on the other hand, grinned and shook the shaft of her scythe, causing the blade to snap into its ready position. She said nothing, but her expression clearly communicated, "It's about time!"

And around the corner from behind the crypt they'd just passed shuffled three skeletons, all of them humanoid, but not human. One in particular was larger and more vicious looking, with sharp fanglike teeth. It carried a peculiar dagger that seemed to be made of dark smoke, wavering and shifting constantly. Upon seeing the tresspassers, the undead silently charged!

The resulting melee was swift and brutal. Shayuri, taken by surprise by the things' speed, was raked by the large skeleton's dagger before she could retreat to safe spellcasting range. Piklum had trouble with the skeletons, since his only weapons were daggers and the bow. He spent most of the battle looking for a rock he could smash at them with, even as Shayuri demanded that he retreat and not put her body at risk. In the end, Shar's maniacal scythe-swinging and a hail of magic missiles brought the skeletons down. Eager to avoid any more encounters with the undead, the group quickly pressed on, not immediately investigating the dagger.

They found what they hoped was the correct tomb, and stood staring at its large black iron door apprehensively for a moment.

Shar, nursing a wound that was too minor to waste magic on, but still deep enough to hurt, seemed to be considering the idea of staying outside as Piklum checked the door out for traps. When he pushed the ominous thing open though, all three entered.

They were perhaps ten feet inside when the door slammed shut with a resounding CLANG, sealing them in near-darkness. As they looked at each other, as if daring someone else to take the next steps first, a mad cackle filled the air and a sickly greenish glow began emerging from a side passage.

Not even Shar could pretend to be brave as an ancient liche tottered out of the passage, the fitful green witchfire in its eyes being the light they saw approaching. It raised its hands on seeing them and howled in fury. "INTERLOPERS!!!"

The full force of its supernatural aura struck all three of the adventurers, and sheer panic drove all thought of Shankara and the letter from their minds. They shrieked in abject terror and fled to the vast iron door, pounding and begging for release. Meanwhile, the lich, now chuckling, advanced towards them from behind. "Now," it hissed, "What shall I do with you three? Hmm?"

Shayuri, in a fit of desperate self-survival instinct, suddenly remembered the letter she carried. She grabbed it out of the grubby little halfling belt pouch it was curled up in, and held it out. "Please!" she wailed, "Shankara sent us to give you this!"

In an instant, the lich's demeanor changed from demented amusement to caution...and perhaps disappointment. "Shankara, eh? Let me see that." It reached out and took the letter...letting one finger brush Shayuri's hand as it did. A layer of skin dried up and peeled off where it had touched her, and the sorceress swallowed, dry-mouthed.

After a moment of scanning the arcane scribble, the guardian lich sighed mustily. "I see. It seems I won't be destroying you after all. Pity. This has been the most fun I've had in centuries."

"A...and the gem?" Shayuri asked, hardly daring to breathe.

"Yes yes yes," the lich said impatiently. "She'll get what she needs, as always..." It's terrible glowing eyes surveyed the three balefully. "You three stay right here. Don't MOVE until I come back." Then it turned and shambled back the way it had come. Long moments passed. Just as the adventurers began to consider trying to find out what was taking so long, they heard the unmistakable sound of its dry shuffling footsteps echoing through the halls.

The lich returned, holding a sapphire as big as Shar's fist. "This will suffice, I think," it rasped, glancing at the party. "It would be enough to hold all three of you, in fact, unless I miss my guess." It chuckled; a sound like centuries-old paper ripping, and held the gem out. Shayuri managed to grab it a split second before Piklum did.

"No fair," he grumbled. "I'm the one who's supposed to be that fast."

"Here," the tomb lich grunted, producing another parchment. "Take this to her as well."

"Of course," Shayuri hastily agreed.

There was an awkward pause then, as the adventurers waited for the door to be opened, and the lich looked thoughtfully up at the ceiling. "Tell me," it said at last, "is Shankara as beautiful as she once was?"

Shar covered her mouth to suppress a derisive laugh, and even Piklum looked taken aback. Shayuri, remembering what the baelnorn had looked like when they were ghosts, nodded. "She is."

"Ahhh." It was impossible for the lich to grin or smile in any way other than the perpetual skull-grin it always wore...but something in its inflection suggested that it would have been, had it still a face. "You may go. Give her my letter, my gem, and...my regards." Turning swiftly, it waved a hand as it ambled back down the passage. There was a scream of iron grating on stone, and the door opened, pushing the party along with it.

Thoroughly unnerved, they wasted no time dashing back to Shankara's tomb, and their progress was not impeded this time.

Upon coming again into Shankara's presence, Shayuri did as instructed. Shankara turned the gem around in the bony claw of a hand as she read the parchment...and giggled. "That scoundrel," she said affectionately at last, secreting the letter away in her robes. "I hope he wasn't too hard on you. He's always been a show-off."

Shayuri could only open and close her mouth, speechless. Piklum slapped a knee and scoffed. "What, him? Nah! Perfect gentleman!" Shar gave Piklum a burning, hateful look, remembering all too well how her courage had failed her.

Wrapped up in her own memories, Shankara missed the interplay and indicated the slabs. "You two now...lie back down. Good. Now focus on the stone." She lifted the gem aloft, and it began to glow in fitful actinic bursts. The rhythm of the flares was somehow hypnotic...

For both Shayuri and Piklum, the universe suddenly became bright blue...and faceted. For an instant their souls touched one another, and a cascade of memories and thoughts too numerous and fast to read flooded them. Then there was a brittle crunching noise and the world became dark.

They sat up, eyes becoming adjusted to the gloom of the crypt. Shankara stood above them still, somehow regal in appearance despite her decayed form. From between her uplifted fingers a fine blue sand ran. She looked down at them. "You have stronger souls than he thought," she said. "Much stronger and the stone would not have been able to hold you both." The lich nodded. "That is good. You will need all the strength you have and more to do what I will ask of you now."

Shar snarled and leapt to her feet. "More tasks?" she raged. "We have done as you asked! The mind flayer lies dead! Now fulfill your bargain and let us go!"

Shankara's voice remained as mild as ever as she turned to look at Shar. "You have done as I asked, yes, and now you live again. I have given you this second chance. Know this, however...you are presently enmeshed very close to the illithid infestation, and if you do not leave you will be recaptured." She paused to let that sink in, then continued, "The task I ask of you now will help ensure that you remain free."

"What is it?" Shar demanded.

"I will give you a crystal, encoded with a message for the current king of the West Sh..." another pause, "...of Dieresis, I mean. The kingdom of the elves. Your task is to see that my message is receieved by the emperor of that land. He will know my name, and the message will make the situation unmistakably clear."

"Forgive me, Shankara," Shayuri pipes up hesitantly, obviously relieved to be back in her own body, "but...what IS the situation? My memories are cloudy."

Shankara sighed. "It is grim, child. I am bound to this tomb in body, but through magic my eye wanders the land with impunity. I have seen the great castles of Caron falling. The very capital itself torn asunder. Cedilla too is all but gone. Only the great towers of its capital hold fast, protected by wards the illithid have not been able to pierce. Yet. Much of the heart of Kaldonia has fallen under the yoke of the mind flayers, and when they have completed the assimilation process, they will lead an army of thralls such as that this world has never seen. If we wait that long, I fear no power under the sun will be able to stop them. My message to the emperor explains all this, and informs him of my wishes that Dieresis offer aid. So far there is still resistance to the illithid...a few isolated pockets. Furthermore, the dwarf mountains in Umlaut remain largely free of their taint. The free peoples of Kaldonia must counter this invasion, or the entire world will be blanketed by the control of these abominations."

Shayuri nods, her eyes widening as the magnitude of the task ahead becomes clear. Yet, she feels her resolve stiffen. There was little she could do to personally fight right now, but if by delivering this missive she could help to organize a counterstrike...

Piklum shrugged, again settling into his gear. "I suppose there's not much point in my going after the Syndicate if they're all thralls," he mused. "So okay."

Shar thumped the butt of her scythe on the floor and religious fervor glowed in her eyes. "So be it," she crowed. "The illithid are abominations in the eyes of Delta! Let none of the peoples of the world fail in their duty to CRUSH them!"

Shankara might have raised an eyebrow, had she any...and presented the gleaming crystal to Shayuri. "I regret to say I cannot help you more," she said. "The illithid and thralls that invaded this place had some valuables...items that may prove useful to you in your journeys. Come."

The elf lich led the party through serpentine halls to a large room that was decorated with the charred, frozen, scoured, and otherwise destroyed husks of many living beings...including two illithid. "It is fortunate that they left your bodies more or less intact," Shankara said, indicating the mess. "I could not bring any of these back. The damage I inflicted was too great."

"But the stuff?" Piklum eagerly demanded, his sharp eyes jumping from body to body seeking loot.

"There in the middle of the floor. I took the liberty of removing them from their previous owners, and of...cleaning them. The gold ring will protect the wearer's mind against reading. Oddly, it was an illithid who wore it. Perhaps it was keeping secrets from its fellows. Additionally, they had some gold and silver coins. They are yours now. I have no need of them."

Piklum fell upon the tiny hoard immediately, though he was quickly persuaded (at scythe-point) to divide the money equally. Surprisingly, Shar wasn't interested in the ring...and after some discussion, Shayuri relented and let the halfling keep it. His will was the weakest of the three, and thus his need greatest.

And so, with farewells (in some cases even fond ones) to Shankara, the three set out once more, this time not to return to the ruins of the elf city again. The elf-lich informed them as they left that they must make haste. When night fell in the aelfheim, there were far more terrible things that lurked than mere skeletons. Shayuri, at the last minute, recalled the odd dagger the large skeleton had used, and retrieved it. The blade of the dagger was indeed seemingly only partly material, though it was as solid as steel to the touch. Since Piklum had claimed the ring, Shayuri kept the dagger. As twilight broke, they could hear the unearthly wails of...things...in the woods behind them. Twisted, strange lights flickered through the towering black trunks of trees. They stumbled on into the night, trying to put enough distance between them and that haunted stretch of woods, but finally had to sleep. And sleep they did. For a time.

---
To be continued

Last edited:

Shayuri

First Post
Darn Freedom Force :)

Sorry for the delay in updating, those few of you who may actually be interested. :) I recently got Freedom Force, and was apparently struck by some kind of Mind-Control Laser, perhaps operated by a dastardly supervillain...because the next thing I knew, it was more than a week later and I still hadn't continued the darn thing. :)

Just to clarify, while Phasmus is the GM, I'm the campaign "Archiver" in some ways, since my character keeps the reasonably detailed journal of each session (which I've ALSO fallen behind on...sigh), and I've been writing the Story Hour.

Should have another update today.

Out of curiosity though, is anyone out there interested in this? :)

PS - Thanks, Cyronax.

Mana

First Post
I am.

I done been *hic* interested in this. I done been *hic* want to see my chara-*hic*cter.

*stumbles to the ground, his mouth foaming*

-Mana

Remove ads