• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Downtime Activity: Fighting Crime

We're currently playing a Campaign in Sharn (The Sharn Archives), one of our players is "the Owl", a monk/rogue vigilante. He asked me to create a new Downtime Acitvity for him, to simulate his efforts to fight crime in Sharn. This is what I came up with.

Constructive criticism is welcome!

HERE is the kewl GMBinder version

Downtime Activity; Fight Crime

The City Watch is just not good enough. Someone needs to take matters into their own hands. That someone is YOU!

Resources
A character must spend one workweek prowling the streets at night, gathering information on potential targets and intimidating them, sometimes resorting to physical violence.

Resolution
The character must make a series of checks, with the DC for all the checks determined by the Crime Level of the District he's patrolling that week. See later on the Crime Levels Table

The results of the PC's efforts depend on the amount of successes.

To Fight Crime, the character makes three checks:
  • Dexterity (Stealth)
  • Intelligence (Investigation
  • Charisma (Intimidation)

If none of the checks are successful, the character has bitten more than he can chew. He's beaten up and barely escapes with his life. Roll on the Injuries table (DMG 272) and apply the results.

If only one check is successful, the vigilante has met strong opposition, but he manages to escape unscathed.

If two checks are successful, the crime scene has been dealt a heavy blow. Next time within one month the vigilante tries to Fight Crime in the same Disctrict, one of his rolls (chosen by the vigilante) has advantage.

If all three checks are successful, the vigilante is on his way to lower the Crime Level of that District! Keep track of how many times you scored 3 successes (also called a “Victory”). When the right amount of Victories has been scored, the Crime Level of that District is lowered by one. If you successfully score 3 Victories in a Low Level District, you've eliminated organized crime from that district.

If the Vigilante neglects to keep watch on his District regularly (at least one workweek per month), the chance is high that the District will revert to its original Crime Levels. Many Vigilantes dedicate their lives to fighting crime, or they make sure to have a group of trustworthy allies that can help them in their fight.

Table: Crime Levels

Crime LevelDCVictories NeededExample District in Lower Dura
Low153Precarious
Moderate206Malleon's Gate
High259Callestan
Extreme3012Fallen

Complications
Life as a vigilante is filled with complications. Roll on the Vigilante Complications table (or create a complication of your own) if the character succeeds on only one check. If the character's rival is involved in crime or law enforcement, a complication ensues if the character succeeds on only two checks.

Table: Vigilante Complications

d6 Complication
1 A crime lord swears to take revenge on you*
2 You beat up a popular criminal, drawing the ire of the district's people.
3 You are accused of using extreme methods. Wheter the allegation is true or not, your reputation is tarnished*
4 A crime boss put a bounty on your head (100 gp times your level)*
5 An unknown person contacts you, threatening to reveal your identity if you don't render a service.*
6 The Watch has had enough of you. Now they're hunting you.*
*Might involve a rival

Last edited:

Coroc

Hero
Nice, except the injury table, unless you use that for other situations also. Just make it another roll on the complications instead.
Also you should get some other benefit than just the honor.
The complications table could be a bit longer so you might want to think about other complicaitons
e.g. Some normal citizen/rich merchant/housemarked noble is blackmailed/part of a syndicate/target of a syndicate
The city watch in that segment is helpful/unimpressed/corrupt etc

Nice, except the injury table, unless you use that for other situations also. Just make it another roll on the complications instead.

I wanted to simulate all the times Batman comes back to the cave hurt and needs time to recover. Though maybe the Injury table is a bit harsh. I was also considering something like "During your next session, you only have half your Hit Dice" or something similar.

Also you should get some other benefit than just the honor.

Here I thought to start some sort of "Faction points" with different benefits. But I wanted to try and keep it easy. Maybe assign some kind of bonus on interactions with locals in the districts, criminals are afraid of you, citizens look up to you?

The complications table could be a bit longer so you might want to think about other complicaitons
e.g. Some normal citizen/rich merchant/housemarked noble is blackmailed/part of a syndicate/target of a syndicate
The city watch in that segment is helpful/unimpressed/corrupt etc

Yes, definitely, I'm looking to add more complications.

Thanks for the input!

Jacob Lewis

Ye Olde GM
Downtime you say?...
77f5c512-1bb5-4bac-9f36-467b1d01b38a

Tell me more.

Shiroiken

Legend
Here I thought to start some sort of "Faction points" with different benefits. But I wanted to try and keep it easy. Maybe assign some kind of bonus on interactions with locals in the districts, criminals are afraid of you, citizens look up to you?
I've modified the faction rules to serve as a reputation score. If you do deeds for a group (including locals), you gain points towards that "faction." The more points you have, the better you're treated by them. This can also cross over to allied groups (points for a town benefits towards the Lord who's land it's in).

Remove ads