• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

DR and movement

Festivus

First Post
Ok, thanks everyone. I appreciate the feedback. I'll rule (in the future) that such summoned things are magical thorns and thus not subject to DR.

MichaelH

First Post
Festivus said:
Ok, thanks everyone. I appreciate the feedback. I'll rule (in the future) that such summoned things are magical thorns and thus not subject to DR.
Ordinarily, DR does not apply to spells, only SR applies. However, the text of this spell does say the following:

Any creature moving through the area also takes 1 point of nonmagical piercing damage for each 5 feet moved.

Therefore, in this case, I think DR should apply to the damage, and I would apply it for each 5 feet moved so that your player would not take any damage from this effect.

moritheil

First Post
MichaelH said:
Ordinarily, DR does not apply to spells, only SR applies. However, the text of this spell does say the following:

Any creature moving through the area also takes 1 point of nonmagical piercing damage for each 5 feet moved.

Therefore, in this case, I think DR should apply to the damage, and I would apply it for each 5 feet moved so that your player would not take any damage from this effect.

This is an inconsistency problem that WOTC has, but just because something is nonmagical does not mean it does not count as resulting from a spell.

In DnD, just because something strongly implies something else does not make it true. I'm sure we all remember the conjuration orb spells that damage targets as spells and are magical elemental damage, yet somehow ignore SR.

kjenks

First Post
Festivus said:

Nonmagical thorns are not subject to DR either. The only thing DR applies to is, well, just read the rule yourself: "A creature with this special quality ignores damage from most weapons and natural attacks."

Thorns are not weapons or natural attacks. Falling damage is not a weapon or natural attack. Caltrops are not weapons or natural attacks.

werk

First Post
kjenks said:
Nonmagical thorns are not subject to DR either. The only thing DR applies to is, well, just read the rule yourself: "A creature with this special quality ignores damage from most weapons and natural attacks."

Thorns are not weapons or natural attacks. Falling damage is not a weapon or natural attack. Caltrops are not weapons or natural attacks.

Is not the thorn the natural attack of the rose?

(Every rose has it's thorn...)

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads