Dr. Si's Curse of the Crimson Throne - Escape From Old Korvosa

Dr Simon

Explorer
Edmond and Mhairi carve their way through the tiger heads, leaving a pile of stuffing and fur on the floor of the corridor, but more keep coming even as Manachan casts his spell.

[sblock=OOC]
[MENTION=1231]Kaodi[/MENTION], Ignatius up next before the heads get their attack(s).

Some other comments - Axel, what system have been you been using lately, out of interest? Anyway, you are correct, sneak attack damage doesn't multiply on a critical. I think in PF that they do affect constructs - if not, I'm allowing it for this one; consider the necks as a vulnerable location or something...

Neurotic - the heads come out of the wall on snaky necks, but there's nothing else to attack. The scenario actually treats the whole area as one huge animated object, so there's not a lot of targeted attacking to make.
[/sblock]

Axel

First Post
[sblock=ooc]
[MENTION=21938]Dr Simon[/MENTION] I've been playing a lot of 5e (or filth as my RL players prefer). I'm a big fan. There is no more 2 am mental gymnastics trying to work out what the attack bonus of a raging barbarian's third attack is when he has bless on and cleaves through a Giant into an ogre with his axe of bane vs Giants (but not ogres). Its +24...oh, wait, this is an offhand attack. So it's +22 to hit and I only get half my attribute mod to damage. So that's half of +7, but my full magic bonus. Ugh!

I like the way spells have been controlled from an "I win" button to a powerful limited resource (I hated for years that fireball, for example, got better with each spell as the wizard levelled, as well as the wizard getting more fireballs - it's a quadratic effect).

Rules for grappling are no longer ridiculous! After decades of 3.5 and Pathgrinder I still have to reach for the book every time a Grell appears.

Most of all, I like that heroic descriptive is back. There are no more enormous tomes describing what you do for each obscure circumstance in exacting detail. The DM assigns an attribute or skill and you roll for success. Sometimes opposed... My players are finally tripping and pushing and shoving in combat!

If you haven't yet, check it out and run a real session. Things go soooo much faster in encounters. :)
[/sblock]

Neurotic

I plan on living forever. Or die trying.
OOC: Playing 5th on these boards, just as I did 4th. For this kind of slow play, I still think 4e is superior to others due to easy board like mechanics and action handling.

5th - I've only just started two campaigns at 1st level so no particular likes or dislikes

Dr Simon

Explorer
Ignatius' fire scorches the fur off the heads of some fo the tigers, but not being a living thing they do not react in any way, although by now there are fewer heads attacking into the corridor. The heads dart in and out, biting with long-dead teeth, and there are so many that even with good defences it is hard to keep them all away. Edmond and Mhairi are beset by what feels like a hundred cuts.

[sblock=OOC]
19 damage to Mhairi
21 damage to Edmond.

Next up:

Mhairi
Edmond
Manachan
Ignatius

I have a 5e game running on these boards, although I've left it fallow for a while! I quite like it, although I find I have trouble getting back to a more free-form mindset.
[/sblock]

Neurotic

I plan on living forever. Or die trying.
Last edited:

Dr Simon

Explorer
Mhairi and Edmond continue to carve their way forwards. There are now far more chunks of tiger head and stuffing, some smouldering around the edges, on the floor than there are heads writhing out of the walls, but the attacks still keep coming.

[sblock=OOC]
Manachan and Ignatius up next.
[/sblock]

Remove ads