• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

DR vs. spells that do "physical" damage

Impeesa

Explorer
Re: Re: DR & SR

LokiDR said:

Mithral falls below +1 on the D&D 3e scale, so that mithral is no different than an other rock.

What about adamantium? If I have DR X/+1, and I fall on an adamantium floor... it's larger than a Large weapon, so it must be greater than +2, right? So the floor bypasses my DR when dealing falling (stopping?) damage?

--Impeesa--

Destil

Explorer
Re: Re: Re: DR & SR

Impeesa said:

What about adamantium? If I have DR X/+1, and I fall on an adamantium floor... it's larger than a Large weapon, so it must be greater than +2, right? So the floor bypasses my DR when dealing falling (stopping?) damage?

--Impeesa--
By 3E rules according to the FAQ the natural enhancement bonus of adamant dosn't overcome DR.

LokiDR

First Post
Re: Re: Re: DR & SR

Impeesa said:

--Impeesa--

If you have DR +1, you need magic or energy damage to bypass it. The floor needs to magic to bypass DR.

FANGO

First Post
Nowhere in the main FAQ does it say that adamantine doesn't bypass DR. The core rules say that it does (DR is bypassed by an enhancement bonus, and adamantine has an enhancement bonus, therefore adamantine bypasses DR).

And I agree that physical damage from spells would be stopped by DR.

Destil

Explorer
FANGO said:
Nowhere in the main FAQ does it say that adamantine doesn't bypass DR. The core rules say that it does (DR is bypassed by an enhancement bonus, and adamantine has an enhancement bonus, therefore adamantine bypasses DR).

And I agree that physical damage from spells would be stopped by DR.
Eh, could have been a sage E-Mail, then... who can remember after so many.

The crux of his arguement was that DR is only overcome by a magical enhancement bonus, IIRC.

Just sage advice. Take it or leave it. :)

FANGO

First Post
Sage emails say a lot of things. I seem to remember that in (one of?) the discussion(s) a while back, both sides claimed the sage supported them, but neither could produce any evidence of it (or perhaps both did...shrug). Anyway, the sage is not to be relied on in my experience, and I would be saying the same even if I did have him on my side (I put about as much stock in sage advice as I do in anyone else's opinion...if it's well-backed-up and based in the current rules, I'll believe what he has to say, otherwise I won't)...sage advice varies far too much to be trusted as absolute truth.

Until there's a revision to the core rules, though, they state that DR is bypassed by adamantine (because DR is bypassed by enhancement bonuses, and adamantine has an enhancement bonus).

LokiDR

First Post
Pg. 16, Monster Manual II, second paragraph, left hand column
Nonmagical enhancement bonuses (such as those from masterwork or adamantine weapons) do not enable a weapon to overcome damage reduction.

This seems to be the designers origninal intent, as DR is meant to be bypassed by magic. The lack of the word "magical" in one passage is not conclusive.

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads