• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[Draconomicon]: How Does the "Dragon Breath" Spell Work?

Ghostmoon

First Post
Hello all,

I was hoping someone out there has used the "Dragon Breath" spell from the Draconomicon (page 111) before and can help me out. Does this spell actually give you a Breath Weapon, and thus follow all the normal rules for them, including determining save DCs, etc.? Or does it follow the normal rules for spells (save DCs, invokes AoOs, etc.)?

This spell seems to be a bit of an oddball, as it targets "you", so there is no spell resistance, but then allows you to attack other creatures. I can't think of other spells in the core set that work like this. Call Lightening comes close, but it is very clear on how this works.

Any help is very much appreacited!
Ghostmoon

Last edited:

CRGreathouse

Community Supporter
Crothian said:
Since it is a spell, I would have the save DC be that of a spell.

It would pretty well have to be. Otherwise the DC would be 10 + half your racial HD (generally 0) + your Con modifier, or about DC 12-14.

Last edited:

Knight Otu

First Post
CRGreathouse said:
It would pretty well have to be. Otherwise the DC would be 10 + half your racial HD (generally 0) + your Con modifier, or about DC 12-14.
Not necessarily. Sometimes, all HD are counted, not just racial HD. But I believe those exceptions are mostly undead.

That said, I agree that the save DC should be the one for spells. In all other respects, I would treat it as a normal breath weapon (that is, a supernatural ability). Casting the spell would still draw an AoO normally, but using the breath weapon would not.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads