• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Dragon #339

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
Wolf72 said:
can we get some basics of the scro?

are they higher hd and abilities like the originals? ... how close are they to the 2e scro? or how different are they from orcs?

The scro don't have any racial hit dice, though they (and the insectare) apparently have a natural +1 to their CR (e.g. a scro fighter 4 is CR 5). They have the same +4 to Strength as orcs, but where orcs then have a -2 to all mental stats, scro have a +2 to Dex and Con. They have the orc blood special quality, darkvision, and a +1 racial bonus on attack rolls against elves. Their favored class is monk. For all of this, their LA is +2.

Ripzerai said:
I'm curious about how high-level the Athasian Sorcerer-Kings are.

Your guess is as good as mine, since they don't have stats presented here. According to the thread the authors of that article started over at WotC's forums, the sorcerer-kings "are more than just Dragons. There are at least two other templates/PrCs that they have."

Dark Psion

First Post
fafhrd said:
You know, Dark Psion, considering you're cooking with crap, that's a pretty darn cool idea.

I've got a new puppy at my house, so there is plenty to cook with here.... and here,....and over there.....

qstor

Adventurer
I think the issue was fantastic. Although I can't wait 12 months for another Campaign classic issue :( I'm renewing my subscription though! Although I was hoping that the Greyhawk critters would be LG approved. Since that tag hasn't been used in many moons, I'm assuming that the LG material in Dragon is DEAD and gone. :(

As for specific comments for posts in this thread. I think Erik is going a great job with including articles for current settings Eberron and the Realms at varying times throughout the year. I liked the new Class Acts format with 2 pages and not focused on all the base classes.
340 looked pretty good, I can't remember when an astrology article was last included. As one of the letter writers said Kudos to Erik!

Mike

Razz

Banned
Banned
Alzrius said:
The Dead factions article covers the Believers of the Source, The Communals, The Expansionists, the Incanterium, the Mercykillers, and the Sign of One. Of particular interest to PS fans is that a unique minor artifact is presented: the Heart of Aoskar.

Ok, I am a very huge PS fan and I've read many, many PS material but no where in my memory bank do I remember the bold figures above. Communals, Expansionists, and Incanterium.

Who are those 3 factions? I don't recognize them from anywhere. Are they the new factions from post-Factol War? :confused:

Shemeska

Adventurer
Razz said:
Ok, I am a very huge PS fan and I've read many, many PS material but no where in my memory bank do I remember the bold figures above. Communals, Expansionists, and Incanterium.

Who are those 3 factions? I don't recognize them from anywhere. Are they the new factions from post-Factol War? :confused:

The Expansionists are Pre-Upheaval. Off the top of my head, they're about 1-2k years old. Vartus Timlin, their factol was mazed but escaped, apparently not having aged a day, in 'Well of Worlds'. The faction itself is mentioned in 'In the Cage' under the section detailing the 12 Factols Inn. They may also be mentioned in Factols Manifesto in some backhistory.

The Communals and Incanterium were present at, or around the time of, the Great Upheaval. The Incanterium is mentioned in the PSMC I or II (they got a few pages in one of them), plus they're mentioned in 'Faces of Sigil', 'Faction War', and at least one other sourcebook as I recall. The Communals are mentioned only once, briefly, but I don't recall specifically which book (might be 'In the Cage' or 'Factols Manifesto')

Razz

Banned
Banned
Shemeska said:
The Expansionists are Pre-Upheaval. Off the top of my head, they're about 1-2k years old. Vartus Timlin, their factol was mazed but escaped, apparently not having aged a day, in 'Well of Worlds'. The faction itself is mentioned in 'In the Cage' under the section detailing the 12 Factols Inn. They may also be mentioned in Factols Manifesto in some backhistory.

The Communals and Incanterium were present at, or around the time of, the Great Upheaval. The Incanterium is mentioned in the PSMC I or II (they got a few pages in one of them), plus they're mentioned in 'Faces of Sigil', 'Faction War', and at least one other sourcebook as I recall. The Communals are mentioned only once, briefly, but I don't recall specifically which book (might be 'In the Cage' or 'Factols Manifesto')

I knew you'd answer this. ;)

I had a strong feeling these were factions from the Great Upheaval, I just don't remember reading them even though I have. And I see why, they receive mere passing statements here and there in the PS line.

Thanks for clarifying things!

Ripzerai

Explorer
The Communals were mentioned in the original Planescape boxed set.

The Expansionists were mazed about 1000 years ago, which is about fifty years before the Fraternity of Order declared themselves the first faction ever. This is one of the weird inconsistencies in Sigil's timeline, as there were twelve other factols who pled to the Lady of Pain that Vatus Timlin be stopped (which happened, even though she doesn't usually take requests). It's not an insurmountable problem - there could easily have been many other factions before the Fraternity of Order that simply didn't meet the Guvners' criteria - that is, they weren't registered with the Guvners, therefore they weren't a faction.

We assume that the Communals and Incantifers existed after the Great Upheaval and made up two of the 15 factions around at that time (and were later replaced by the Harmonium and Xaositects), but it could have been that they were mazed long before the Upheaval and the fifteen factions included two different groups entirely (for example, one of the Xaositect precursors like the Xaosophiles or Discordant Opposition, or the Forgesmiths from Polyhedron #167).

In fact, I think I'd rather that one of the proto-Xaositect factions was around at the Great Upheaval, as it'd be a shame to keep unmitigated chaos from the Cage from the time of the Upheaval over 600 years ago until the Xaositects themselves were founded a mere 160 years ago. That would necessarily push back either the Communals or Incanterium to long before the Upheaval happened. Perhaps the Incanterium factol was one of those who, ironically, pushed for the Expansionists to be mazed.

There's also the theory that Sigil's timeline is cyclical, so that the Faction War begins the period of unrestricted faction-building that ultimately ends in the Great Upheaval, is followed by an age of 15 factions, and finally starts all over again. In that case, all these "lost" factions are yet to be founded some time in the distant future.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads