• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Dragon #347

Uder

First Post
Razz said:
Too strong for you.
No Razz, I was speaking for everyone, and I'm going to come 'round and switch everyone's MM's on them.

(exaggerated heavy sigh)

Do I really need to put IMC, IMO, YMMV, etc in front of everything I write? Especially when I'm talking about something that will only see use in my home game?

In any case, Dragon's been so good lately I'm still checking the mailbox daily for the new one. I'm sure I'll enjoy reading the article even if I don't use the exact rules.

BOZ

Creature Cataloguer
Razz said:
I understand BOZ's necessity to base them along the lines of FC1's Demon Princes.

actually, not really. FC1 hit shelves about 2 weeks after our final manuscript was due, so we had no idea what the power levels of the demon lords therein were going to be. we set the archos in the CR 21-24 range not to keep them consistent with FC1, but to keep them even with some of the lower-CR demon lords from BoVD and Demonomicon.

kenobi65

First Post
You guys wrote this article? Sweet. Very well done.

Neat to see a Dragon that (a) has a good thematic unity to it, and (b) has a lot of usable information for many campaigns.

BOZ

Creature Cataloguer
i was able to pick up a copy at GenCon. :) i wanted to visit the paizo booth personally, but lack of funds kept me from buying a con badge! thanks again to Psion for doing me that favor. :D

i like how cryonax was linked to the article later in the mag with the paraelemental monoliths. seemed unfair for the other archos to summon monoliths and him not. :)

also a nice touch on adding a mention of how water weirds guard Olhydra's citadel - i think we had cut that out for some reason (probably the changes in weirds from 2E to 3E), but with the inclusion of "traditional" weirds elsewhere in the mag, it's good to see them back where they belong. :)

the only glaring editorial mistake that i caught was under Imix's feats: the note for Improved Whirlwind Attack had a reference stating it was from the ELH (replace with Improved Trip if you don't have the book), though this reference was probably inadvertantly cut. oh well, that's one for the eratta pile!

less notable than that was how Ogremoch's Devastating Critical feat appears to have morphed. ;)

there are numerous reworked phrases, but the only section where any real rewriting was done was in the first two paragraphs, which were totally redone. for what it's worth, here's the text we originally wrote, replaced by the first two paragraphs of the actual article (which were stronger anyway, i think):

"Archomentals are powerful exemplary beings of the Elemental Planes, similar to the archfiends and celestial paragons. Each Elemental Plane may be home to several archomentals with differing alignments and goals. Archomentals fancy themselves rulers of their plane's natives, going by regal titles such as prince and lord. Though they don't truly rule their home planes, archomentals are considerably powerful nonetheless. Each archomental has a vast army of supporters and thralls under its command, and will rarely be drawn into battle without adequate support, unless it does so of its own accord. Each archomental holds sway over a large dominion on its plane and dwells in a well-protected fortress, contributing to its long-lasting survival."

another change i noted was that under Imix's Goals, "Mephistopheles" was replaced with "Hag Countess". we thought it would be more interesting if Haggy wasn't aware of the plot against her, but Mephisto was. :)

a few selections were cut, but 99% of what we wrote made it into the article (including some references i wasn't sure would make it, like the amitoks), and feel free to use these as plot hooks if you like:

at the end of the third paragraph of Cryonax's Goals: "He also has been experimenting with the supernatural cold phenomena known as coldfire (see Frostburn)."

at the end of the first paragraph of Ogremoch's Goals (the removal of which seems to make that paragraph pointless): "He has prepared a contingency, a disc-shaped artifact of untold power that lies hidden in Stonemire waiting for that very day."

at the end of the fourth paragraph of Olhydra's Goals: "The altraloth Cholerix has pledged the forces of her superior, Bubonix, in a massive assualt on Imix, in return for Olhydra's help in supplanting Cholerix's master."

Psion

Adventurer
BOZ said:
i was able to pick up a copy at GenCon. :) i wanted to visit the paizo booth personally, but lack of funds kept me from buying a con badge! thanks again to Psion for doing me that favor. :D

Much obliged! It was funny that I picked it up and Gwydion started going on and on about the elemental article. Guess someone liked it.

My own copy was there when I got home. With the stack I have and getting back to work, haven't had a chance to even take it out of the plastic though!

JustKim

First Post
BOZ said:
Improved Whirlwind Attack had a reference stating it was from the ELH (replace with Improved Trip if you don't have the book), though this reference was probably inadvertantly cut. oh well, that's one for the eratta pile!
I'm not sure what your intention was there. The Improved Whirlwind Attack from ELH is actually identical to the basic 3.5 Whirlwind Attack feat, which Imix already has. At this stage the problem seems to be a wasted feat, not a missing footnote (featnote?).

Shade

Monster Junkie
Actually, it is different once you factor in the 3.5 Conversion Guide:

IMPROVED WHIRLWIND ATTACK [EPIC]
Benefit: As a standard action, you can make one melee attack for every five points of your base attack bonus (including your epic attack bonus; round fractions down). For example, if your base attack bonus plus epic attack bonus were +24, you could make four separate melee attacks as a single standard action.

You can’t attack any one opponent more than once as part of this action. These attacks (as well as all other attacks made until the start of your next turn) suffer a –4 penalty.

When you use the Improved Whirlwind Attack feat, you also forfeit any bonus or extra attacks granted by other feats or abilities (such as Cleave or the haste spell).

Since these attacks are made as part of a standard action, you can’t take a 5-foot step between them.

Normal: Without this feat, using the Whirlwind Attack feat requires a full attack action, and you can take a 5-foot step between any two of the attacks.

----------------------------------------------------------

The advantage is the fact that it is a standard action, and thus Imix can move his full movement and still make up to six melee attacks with the feat.

So I'm happy to take the blame on that one. :D

Last edited:

zoroaster100

First Post
I enjoyed the article on the archomentals. I haven't really inspected the stats in detail, but the CR sounds about right to me. I see an archomental as something which should be a capstone encounter for a campaign that has gone all the way to 20th level or even into early epic levels (21-23).

BOZ

Creature Cataloguer
i also have to comment on this: as much as we would have liked to have a look at FC1 before submitting the archomental article (it came out about a week or two after our deadline), we had to just do our best and guess. for example, we knew next to nothing about dagon. :) i'd like to thank whoever tossed the "Age Before Ages" reference in there, because that really makes it look better.

Tetsubo

First Post
Frankly I found this issue to be pretty useless. Other than the comics I had no use for it. I'm seriously considering dropping my subscription. And I have an unbroken run from #27. I'm hoping that next issue is better.

Remove ads