• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Dragon 368 - First Subscription Issue

How do you feel about Dragon 368?

• Dragon 368 was well worth paying for

Votes: 67 67.7%
  • Dragon 368 - I really don't have a strong opinion

Votes: 17 17.2%
  • Dragon 368 was not worth paying for

Votes: 15 15.2%

MrMyth

First Post
Well, I have 2 more days to think about subscribing so I can have access to the PDF which I may never print in full but I may use in parts in the future. I am off on Friday so I will probably decide then.

Also, I think that the October PDF will be available until the end of November for all subscribers. That is what they made it sound like in the latest Digital Insider, I believe. It seems unavailable at the moment, so I'm not 100% positive on this, but that might be worth looking into for those who want slightly longer to decide.

SteveC

Doing the best imitation of myself
For me, the thing I find most interesting is how the discussion on Dragon went from full steam ahead to almost zero here as soon as it went to the pay format.

I found the Wizard's website to be difficult to use, so I'd come over to ENWorld and see a mention of an interesting new article with a convenient link, and then I'd be off. Since there's been less discussion, I've had little or no interest in it as a result.

I know someone who did subscribe, so I'll be able to take a look at the entire issue on his laptop, but still, Dragon is pretty much done for me until the compilation comes out. That's too bad.

--Steve

Shroomy

Adventurer
For me, the thing I find most interesting is how the discussion on Dragon went from full steam ahead to almost zero here as soon as it went to the pay format.

I found the Wizard's website to be difficult to use, so I'd come over to ENWorld and see a mention of an interesting new article with a convenient link, and then I'd be off. Since there's been less discussion, I've had little or no interest in it as a result.

I know someone who did subscribe, so I'll be able to take a look at the entire issue on his laptop, but still, Dragon is pretty much done for me until the compilation comes out. That's too bad.

--Steve

I went back and checked the previous 45 days (in this forum) of threads with the "Dragon Magazine" tag and there's usually been at least one thread about each specific article. Most of them from Issue 368 have the same level of discussion as before (when compared with 367), though things like the Barbarian playtest and the Graz'zt stats were more popular overall (at least in terms of postings). The first Gladiator article also had a lot of replies.

JoeGKushner

First Post
No Dragon's Beastiary.

No Ecology.

No Demonomicon

No Class Acts. (I guess the Gladiator stuff could count but...)

Bizzare of the Bazzar... well, not quite but the magic items were okay as were the artifacts.

Legends & Lore: Nope. I'd love to see this come back, especially as it's not as necessary now to make the historical and legendary characters match up to the way characters are designed.

It was okay in terms of content. The art is pretty up there. PDF utility... it's okay but changing the orientation of the magazine isn't the end all/be all of the PDF medium. I want monsters and lots of 'em. Hell, I'd love to see a Creature Catalog style write up for 'em.

And a revisit to Ed's Hells article with all of the named beasties written up for 4e.

Hussar

Legend
No Dragon's Beastiary.

Only recently resurrected by Paizo (twice? Three times?) so not really a regular feature.

No Ecology.

Agreed

No Demonomicon

Only appeared 4 times a year, it's the first issue, so, we actually don't know if this is gone or not. And IIRC they did do a free demonomicon issue a few months back.

No Class Acts. (I guess the Gladiator stuff could count but...)

Agreed.

Bizzare of the Bazzar... well, not quite but the magic items were okay as were the artifacts.

agreed

Legends & Lore: Nope. I'd love to see this come back, especially as it's not as necessary now to make the historical and legendary characters match up to the way characters are designed.

When was this a regular column? You're going back quite a few years since that's graced the pages.

It was okay in terms of content. The art is pretty up there. PDF utility... it's okay but changing the orientation of the magazine isn't the end all/be all of the PDF medium. I want monsters and lots of 'em. Hell, I'd love to see a Creature Catalog style write up for 'em.

And a revisit to Ed's Hells article with all of the named beasties written up for 4e.

agreed.

theria

First Post
It was decent, though a few bumps too. Some stuff which ended up pushed back to the next month it seems. Not to mention I wondered a bit about was there any map of Graywall intended or not. Guess they didn't remove that one reference from the article about one.

JoeGKushner

First Post
Let me be clear.

My listing wasn't what is regularly offered. It's what I find useful. ;)

And next issue looks like it hits quite a few of those including class acts, bazzar and demonomicon.

Only recently resurrected by Paizo (twice? Three times?) so not really a regular feature.

Agreed

Only appeared 4 times a year, it's the first issue, so, we actually don't know if this is gone or not. And IIRC they did do a free demonomicon issue a few months back.

Agreed.

agreed

When was this a regular column? You're going back quite a few years since that's graced the pages.

agreed.

mac1504

Explorer
I think the quality of the articles has been great, and has been providing me with steady ideas and pieces to use in my campaign- so it is well worth the money for me.

That said, as I was going through issue 368 (and several of the back issues) to do some editing (adding in links to the TOC) I noticed some very sloppy editing errors. The last two pictures in the TOC don't have inset page numbers, just question marks. Along with that, the Design and Development articles in the TOC is labeled as 'The Evolution of Magic Items' (from issue 367), when the articles is actually about Death and Dying. I've also noticed other editing errors such as these in other issues, and these were all on the compiled versions downloaded weeks or days after they had been posted.

I hope they go back through and correct these editing problems at some point.

Remove ads