• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Dragon -- Ashen Covenant Article

Byronic

First Post
Staff of the Lich

Hmm, Staff of the Lich, the very first staff we've seen that has an encounter effect. Not too bad considering that (technically) a Level 1 Wizard could use the staff to immobilize Orcus for a turn.

Last edited:

Bold or Stupid

First Post
Nice fluff, two of my favourite undead returned to me (not that I've ever used either the hecueva or the Eye of Fear and Flame, I just like them conceptually). This article will help me greatly with my first campaign, which will end with the party vs Orcus.

Hellzon

First Post
That's one huecuva article.

The huecuva and the Eye of Fear and Flame sounded exceptionally stupid when they were included in Order of The Stick, but these make me want to run an undead-slaying campaign. PirateCat-style.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Mouseferatu said:
My guess is, that's an artifact of development. The final version of the helm doesn't function exactly as I wrote it. (What can I say, I was still learning the system. ;)) My guess is that either the forgot the higher-level power, or that the higher-level cost should have been removed, but wasn't.

What would you add as a higher level power, Ari?

GoodKingJayIII

First Post
Byronic said:
Hmm, Staff of the Lich, the very first staff we've seen that has an encounter effect. Not too bad considering that (technically) a Level 1 Wizard could use the staff to immobilize Orcus for a turn.

Hmm... Orcus has a Teleport movement, doesn't he? If I recall correctly, immobilize doesn't stop one from teleporting.

Byronic

First Post
GoodKingJayIII said:
Hmm... Orcus has a Teleport movement, doesn't he? If I recall correctly, immobilize doesn't stop one from teleporting.

True, but that's still an impressive move for an apprentice Wizard. Many arcane colleges would give such a student great (albeit postmortem) honours for such an impressive feat. Although his (ex) professors might shake their heads and note to add the case to the curriculum.

Maybe they'll resurrect him and make him write 1563 lines on the blackboard.

I will not steal magical artifacts from the academy storage without passing "Conditions and the different ways to subvert them" and "Demons and the way they move on Terra Firma" first

:O That would be a great idea. It's the perfect solution for the economy as well. It makes perfect sense now. It fits the economy, it fits the suspense of disbelief, it fixes the almost ridiculous emphasis on balance.

It fits everything.

Last edited:

Flazzy

First Post
Note that the sample encounter with Elder Arantham lists him incorrectly as being a solo, and the vampire warlock is supposed to be elite (thus the encounter XP is miscalculated as well).

Flazzy said:
Note that the sample encounter with Elder Arantham lists him incorrectly as being a solo, and the vampire warlock is supposed to be elite (thus the encounter XP is miscalculated as well).

Yeah, there were a lot of mistakes in the sample encounters, due to a number of changes I made between first and second draft. I've been talking to Chris about trying to get 'em corrected.

Sorry. :heh:

Remove ads