• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Dragon Disciple vs. 1/2 dragon?

The Grackle

First Post
I'm making a new ECL 8 character. Probably a TH power-atacker w/a reach weapon.

Is is it worth it to take ltheDragon Disciple prestige class? Or should I just use the 1/2 dragon template and suffer the LA?

jason_gosse

First Post
The Grackle said:
I'm making a new ECL 8 character. Probably a TH power-atacker w/a reach weapon.

Is is it worth it to take ltheDragon Disciple prestige class? Or should I just use the 1/2 dragon template and suffer the LA?
Well personaly the +3 la is worth it. and for any front line combatent more then worth it. extra strength and con. more hp more damager better ab.

IcyCool

First Post
The half-dragon template eats up 3 levels and gives you no BAB, Save increases, or HD.

The Dragon-Disciple prestige class eats up 10 levels, and gives you everything that the half-dragon template gives you plus 10d12 HD, +7 BAB, Save increases, a few extra spells (You need one level of a spontaneous spellcasting class (bard, hexblade, sorcerer, spelltheif) to get in), and wings (the half-dragon template doesn't normally give you wings if you are smaller than large size).

So at ECL 8 you could be a Bard 1/Fighter 4/Dragon Disciple 3 (1d6+4d10+3d12 HD, but not all of the Half-dragon benefits, you need to wait until 15th level for that), or a half-dragon Fighter 5 (5d10 HD and all of the half-dragon benefits).

Darklone

Nice analysis from IcyCool, I vote for the Dragon disciple too.

Half-dragon is better if you want a caster... but then the LA really hurts.

Wish

First Post
You actually need 4 levels of hexblade (when they get their spells), but it's worth it, since they get mettle and full BAB.

Either way, I think you'll do fine as a front line combatant. The only problem with going half-dragon is the lower hit dice when the blasphemies start flying. Other than that, they both work great.

hanniball

First Post
Honestly, I'm not a fan of either, but moreso the template than the PrC. If you decide on the Disciple, the Hexblade makes for an excellent prefix as it grants you the spellcasting required, has full-BAB, Cha to saves, and has Know (Arcana) as a class skill. Here's a sample build that focuses on Str and Cha:

Hexblade 4/Ftr 1/Dragon Disciple 10/Blackguard 5

+17 BAB, 14/5/12 +Cha*2, Command Undead, 3rd lvl Divine spells, 1st lvl arcane spells, mettle, a familiar, Fiendish Servant, +1D6 sneak attack, Smite Good 2/day, etc.

At 8th level, I'd suggest

Hex 4/Ftr 1/Dragon Disciple 3, progress one more level in DD and then jump into Blackguard for two levels. After that, I'd go DD all the way and finish off the build with the final 3 levels of Blkg.

Either way...just my 2 cp

Edit: Ninja'd on the Hexblade!

Seeten

First Post
I def agree on the Hexblade. If you are allowed Blackguard, I definitely second taking both. Go Red Dragon for real scariness.

Paladin of freedom, Tyranny, or whatnot can sub in for the blackguard, if you arent evil

Victim

First Post
Unless you want the minor casting aspects of the DD, go with the template. While DD provides benefits with its levels that would otherwise be lost with the template, it also locks into the class for a large number of levels. If you consider the benefits from ~7 levels of another class, then the DD isn't looking so hot.

Offensively, the half dragon pays for itself for a melee class. -3 attack from BaB, but +4 from STR. With bonus damage.

Remove ads