• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Dragon Disciple vs. 1/2 dragon?

frankthedm

First Post
Deciple has a requirment of spellcasting, yet does not help your spellcasting much. Mucho suckage unless you are going in through duskblade or hexblade. And even even that ain't the greatest since now you give up that class to get all dragony.

I'd say half dragon unless the DM drops the casting requirement on the PRC.

Funkthis

First Post
Ooops

Korak said:
unfortunately not

Ahh....another change from 3.0 to 3.5 that I never noticed. Started the character in 3.0 and we never switched in that campaign to 3.5. Another change that I wonder why it was made. Balance issues? Doesn't seem likely as most of the time it only gave a few more hps.

Oh well...never mind on the hps. Still think the half-dragon works well for mid lvls as a fighter type.

Darklone

ECL 8 char... that means a 5HD char as halfdragon. Or a level 3 Dragon Disciple.

Do you expect Cloudkills?

6 levels to go and you'll have wings. To me that sounds nice. But I do think it depends on how fast you expect to level up. At levels below ECL 10, the half-dragon rocks if you're large. If not... you'll see.

A somehow related question. For bite/claw/claw attack routine... can the character take the Two Weapon Rend feat? I don't think so... is there a Rend feat for natural weapons in one of the MMs?

Ah right: Take Arcane Strike!

Last edited:

Darklone

VonRichthofen said:
That's the net effect of Weapon Specialization a few rounds per day. (1st level spells) Is it really worth it for a very high Str build?
The to hit bonus will work well for the PA (medium BAB) and what else would you want to use these spellslots for ;)?

Duh, right, 3rd level spells...

Bayushi Seikuro

First Post
For the record, as was recently pointed out for my game...

Wizards has a breakdown of templates as class levels, so instead of a +3, you actually have 3 class levels. It's basically a 3-level, nonmagic-dependent version of the Dragon Disciple.

The article also had how to do that with wererats, which, like they say, low CR, and something there's a good chance a player might not WANT cured.

Darklone

Bayushi Seikuro said:

Wizards has a breakdown of templates as class levels, so instead of a +3, you actually have 3 class levels. It's basically a 3-level, nonmagic-dependent version of the Dragon Disciple.

The article also had how to do that with wererats, which, like they say, low CR, and something there's a good chance a player might not WANT cured.
http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/sp/20030912a

Insight

Adventurer
Bayushi Seikuro said:

Could you provide a link to that article? As someone who plays weirdo characters, I'd like to see it.

EDIT: DOH someone already posted!

Klaus

First Post
There's also a progression posted in (iirc) Races of the Dragon, where you can take the 1st-level (and be a Draconic creature) and later take the other 2 levels (and be a Half-Dragon creature).

Remove ads