Dragon Magazine goes political

Status
Not open for further replies.

SemperJase

First Post
I got my issue 295 today and was amazed to see a political editorial. The publisher even went so far as to call for readers to send mail to politicians.

Regardless of where you stand on the issue, is this appropriate for Dragon Magazine?

Crothian

First Post
Was it a USA political thing? On the National level? I haven't seen this issue yet, but this sounds really odd.

Eryx

First Post
I don't have that issue of Dragon yet, but I would say that it depends what the editorial was about?
If it had some connection to RPGs then perhaps. I'd have to read it to give you a better opinion.

SemperJase

First Post
The issue

Apparently some prisons in Californina and Georgia have not allowed their inmates to receive Dragon and Dungeon Magazines.

Some prisons also do not let their inmates play the game. The Dragon's publisher is calling it illegal and is asking readers to send a letter writing campaign to prison and justice dept. officials.

Lizard

Explorer
SemperJase said:
I got my issue 295 today and was amazed to see a political editorial. The publisher even went so far as to call for readers to send mail to politicians.

Regardless of where you stand on the issue, is this appropriate for Dragon Magazine?

Since the issue is, evidently, the availability of Dragon magazine, then, yes, it's appropriate.

Like, duh.

KnowTheToe

First Post
Of all issues it was on prisoners rights to get Dragon Magazine. Did they lose a bunch of customers because of over zealous prison mail room attendants? I just did not get the point. I would rather they rant and ask for something important like helping feed the poor or improving education in low income ares. I know it would be non game related, but at least it would have a purpose.

SIlly, silly, silly.

Eryx

First Post
It does seem an odd choice to write an editorial about.
I mean, these people are not able to go out and buy WotC books and cards...etc.

Then again, why not let people in prison play D&D? Maybe the staff don't want to be fireballed in a prison riot?

Not getting into a debate on what is and isn't suitable in prisons though.

Sir Hawkeye

First Post
CamelToe said:
Of all issues it was on prisoners rights to get Dragon Magazine. Did they lose a bunch of customers because of over zealous prison mail room attendants? I just did not get the point. I would rather they rant and ask for something important like helping feed the poor or improving education in low income ares. I know it would be non game related, but at least it would have a purpose.

SIlly, silly, silly.

Those are not what I would call "bold political stances that need support". I mean, how many people are going to argue against helping feed the poor?;) Or am I just a lot nicer than I think I am?

The editorial makes a very good point about why we should care about this, and if Dragon is going to be political, I'd rather they were political on D&D-related issues.

Crothian

First Post
Well, a Prinson is there to punish people. I think with holding RPG supplements and magizines is a very good punishment. Heck, it might if be breaking the eighth admendment for cruel and unusual. :D :D :D

SemperJase

First Post
Unfortunately, their points were not on the mark. Prisoners do not have an inalienable right to play D&D.

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads