Dragon Magazine goes political

Status
Not open for further replies.

SemperJase

First Post
KDLadage said:
I would state that it is not, and that if they have things like this (rape & murder) in thier heads that need to be expressed, it is best expressed with some books and play acting than in reality.

Its best these things aren't expressed at all. Acting these things out only reinforces them in a persons mind. Especially if they are expressed in a game environment where evil actions have no consequences.

The secondary effects are what I am concerned with.

That is the problem with the editorial. The prisons are and must be concerned with the primary purpose. Just as they restrict other games, they must be allowed to restrict this game.

Still, I defend the right of Dragon to print what they want. I further defend the right of the readership to complain about it.

To clarify, I did not question their right to print the editorial. I never mentioned their rights at all. If they want, they have the right to publish 100 pages of civil rights editorials. I merely question if a gaming magazine should get into political discussions; are they being true to their mission of publishing a gaming magazine. If not, they were in error.

Lastly you keep saying if prison is replaced with school district we wouldn't object. You are right in that statement, but the two subjects are NOT synonymous. Prisoners' rights (that are restricted because of ther crimes) do not equate with those of law abiding citizens who have their rights in tact.

KDLadage

Explorer
SemperJase said:
Lastly you keep saying if prison is replaced with school district we wouldn't object. You are right in that statement, but the two subjects are NOT synonymous. Prisoners' rights (that are restricted because of ther crimes) do not equate with those of law abiding citizens who have their rights in tact.

First: I said it once. But I understand your point.

Second: I am not stating or even suggesting that the two are the same. What I am suggesting is that any of these stances are equally political in nature. TAking such a stance is a political stance. Thus, if the objections arise from one stance, but not the others, then one must conclude that it is not the fact that a political stance is taken that causes the trouble, but the nature of the stance itself.

In other words, one (in order to remain honest with themselves) once they admit that they would not object to one of them, can no longer make the claim that thier objection is based upon the idea of a political stance being made.

It is the stance they take, not the fact that they take one, that many here seem to find objectionable. Yet they hide this fact by hiding behind the rhetoric of "no political stances" -- that was all I was saying.

Last edited:

WSmith

First Post
DarwinofMind said:
Interesting that you find the courts completely infalable. Everyone in prison commited a crime? No one has EVER been wrongfully accused, I'd swear I've heard of at least a few cases of poeple being released from prison after new facts were found. Was I mishearing?

If we could take the politics out of the justice system, it would come pretty close That is why I don't want it clouding up my Dragon magazine. It is keeping it from being perfect. :D

(I was going to address the Perez thing and Mistwells comments, but I just want to get on with the other threads. Plus I STILL haven't got my Dragon yet, so I might read the editorial and think it ain't so bad after all) :D

Randolpho

First Post
Re: Re: Re: The issue

KDLadage said:
Because prison is supposed to be for the rehabilitation of prisoners?

No it's not, it's about removing those who commit crimes from society, thus reducing the total sum of crime.

Because a prisoner that is given some treatment that resembles that of a human is less likely to cause the guards any trouble?

Who cares? As long as they're off the street.

Because allowing a prisoner to focus his anger/problems and chanel them into non-violent activities is a good thing?

Sublimation is overrated. And no, allowing a prisoner to focus anger or problems into any form is most certainly *not* a good thing.

Because helping a prisoner to learn better reading, writing and social skills could go a long way towards his/her recovery once s/he is released?

Assuming criminals are rehabilitatable, which has yet to be determined.

Because showing that D&D is allowed to be played by prisoners is one way of showing parents that it is considered a safe activity for thier children?

Hah! That's rich. The fact that prisonsers want to play D&D is a *bad* mark on a game that already suffers from a social stigma.

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads