Dragon Magazine goes political

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ristamar

Adventurer
Wicht said:

Okay some further questions
1) What is a no-skating state? Are you talking about skating on open state water or what? Are there states that have outlawed skating rinks?

2) The guy was apparently commiting a crime and then fleeing arrest - Am I right in reading it this way?

I can address the first two.

1) He's referring to skateboarding, which is prohibited in plenty of places. I'd never heard of it being banned throughout an entire state, but... *shrug* The whole thing is basically a cat and mouse game between cops and skaters that's been 'played' for years and years now. You skate someplace you're not supposed to be (often because there's nowhere you can really go to skate thanks to a lack of adequate facilities and public support, though things are apparently improving a bit), so when the cops roll up, you run/skate away and find a new spot to hit for awhile. Rinse and repeat. (and Arthur, if you're reading this, do you happen to know who the skater was? Just curious...)

2) Hmmm. Hard to say. Sometimes the cops just show up and tell you to get the hell out. Other times they'll slap you with a fine, likely Criminal Trespassing (I received that once for skating at my high school when I was 17 *roll*). I suppose if you have any outstanding warrants, you'd definitely be fleeing arrest.

Last edited:

el-remmen

Moderator Emeritus
Okay, we've come very very far from the topic of editorials in Dragon. . .

So, let's get it back on there and avoid discussing unrelated issues of crime and cases. . .

Thanks. . .

Henry

Autoexreginated
All right - here's an on-topic Statement:

I don't care if the article is about saving baby kittens from owners who torture them with cigarettes, I don't want to see it in my Dragon Magazine. Period. THE END. Story Done. Show's over, folks.

It's a magazine by gamers, for gamers, about d20 gaming. I don't want to know about his political leanings because like most of the publishers in the gaming field, I probably won't agree with them. I don't mind discussing such things in proper venues, but anytime someone pumps out an editorial without a chance to respond, it's like a literary version of a drive-by shooting. You get no chance to say anything in rebuttal in the issue, and I can bet you serious money they are going to get a ton of letters and Message board correspondence over this issue. Heck, if they got mail over the "Warriors kick ASS" thing a year back, and the Halfling Serial-Killer picture, they are going to get reamed over this. Only thing is, it will be justified.

In my opinion, they need to keep their politics out of MY peanut butter - er, my Gaming Magazine.

They have personal web sites, e-mail, and messages in message boards to discuss this topic. No need to sprout it all over my time and what I am paying for.

Next thing you know, we'll be getting articles about how the total ban on Cloning is a good thing, because of the lessons Manshoon has taught us over his failures inthe Forgotten Realms over this issue.

Thank you, and good evening.

WSmith

First Post
WAIT STOP! HOLD EVERYTHING!

Nemmerle, I have to get this in. The video that has circulated around the internet has been confirmend a FAKE! It was STAGED! IT IS NOT REAL! So, that whole argrument can be put to rest. Forget about the punk flipping the double bird and the savage beating he got. It was an act.

As much as I am tend to be completely on the other end of the political spectrum from Arcady, I completely agree with his post about the military. But enough of that.

Prisons are filled with all kinds of people. I know I work in one. (read the link to the Talon thread if you want the background.)

You will have to trust me when I say that the amount of people "down" that play D&D are miniscule compared to the amount of people that bought the 3e PHB. I feel, politics aside, (I haven't gotten my Dragon yet so I can't really say anything about the article) it is a poor platform to take. I know, you think I am biased right? Wrong! Why? because if it is the stance that D&D can't gain legitamacy and grow as a hobby because some felon can't get Dragon, that is hogwash! The numbers don't support the waste of space in a magazine we pay top dollar for.

Now, If WOTC is truely concerned about the hobby gaining more acceptance, the need to go to all these inner city schools, orphanages, kids home, local public libraries, etc. etc. etc. and donate some items, hold a press release for the event on how a game company is helping the your of America develop their academic and critical thinking skills and a sense of teamwork, and them show the kids how to play the game, and address any myths that role playing games present. That, my friends, would be the sign of a company that really cares about the future of gaming.

Remember in the movie "Colors?" Fighting for an inmate who is not getting his magazine is like the son bull wanting to run down the hill to [insert expletive] one of the cows. Helping the next generation have access and acceptance to RPGs is the father bull saying to walk down the hill and [insert expletive] them all.

Last edited:

CaptainCalico

Community Supporter
It IS about gaming!

I read that editorial and it was not about anyone’s political stance on prisons. It was about prison official’s perceptions and policies regarding D&D materials and as such has a place in the pages of Dragon.

The following is a quote from a poster on another board. I think it sums up the situation quite well:

The point is, prisoners *are* allowed to play games. Shouldn't we, as D&D players, be offended and concerned that the Powers That Be have decided which games are and aren't appropriate, and that D&D isn't?

The idea that D&D may lead to violent behavior, strange cultish practices or whatever else the fear may be is an idea we *all* have reason to resent and speak out against.

So instead of worrying about whether D&D is too much fun for people who should be punished, let's worry about the fact that D&D still, after all these years, is being singled out by powerful people as an "inappropriate" game.

THAT is why the editorial was written and I think rightly so.

(Thanks to GirlDM for summing things up)

Wicht

Hero
Re: It IS about gaming!

CaptainCalico said:
The point is, prisoners *are* allowed to play games. Shouldn't we, as D&D players, be offended and concerned that the Powers That Be have decided which games are and aren't appropriate, and that D&D isn't?

No we should not be offended until we find out why the decision that was made was in fact made. Those in charge of the prison have the duty and obligation to decide whether activities are in fact appropriate for the environment they wish to create and maintain. Perhaps the "Powers that Be" are afraid of too many dice getting loose. Perhaps they want games the prisoners can do easily for short periods of time in a certain area of the prison without a lot of preperation. While it is quite possible that the "Powers that Be" are in fact making the decision based on wrong assumptions until I know for sure why the decision was made I will refuse to be offended.

Last edited:

WSmith

First Post
FWIW, the only two games the prisoners are alllowed to play at my place are scrabble and stratego. NOTHING that uses dice is allowed.

Ace

Adventurer
Re: Re: The issue

Anybody remember that old Dragon Mirth cartoon

Two guys behind bars "Doesn't anyone here play anything but thieves"

Sorry to those who read my last post I decided to eliminate it. It was way too political.

This is <sob> all thats left :)

Last edited:

KnowTheToe

First Post
DocMoriartty said:
**Deleted political comments**

I do think though that the article was stupid. WOTC and DnD in general do not need to associate with prisoner rights topics. We as a society of gamers already have enough trouble not getting branded something negative.

I would also like to say that I get Dragon Magazine and it is one of the most expensive magazines out there. So from that point of view this item in my magazine pisses me off as it is a complete waste of time space and material. Dragon needs to keep this crap out of the magazine and focus on the game. I plan on writing Dragon on this fact as well. I think we all should in fact, we need to for lack of a better term "slap them down" the first time they heavily wander off topic so it doesnt become common place.

Amen my brother. I will raise a pen to that!

Ace

Adventurer
WSmith said:
WAIT STOP! HOLD EVERYTHING!

Now, If WOTC is truely concerned about the hobby gaining more acceptance, the need to go to all these inner city schools, orphanages, kids home, local public libraries, etc. etc. etc. and donate some items, hold a press release for the event on how a game company is helping the your of America develop their academic and critical thinking skills and a sense of teamwork, and them show the kids how to play the game, and address any myths that role playing games present. That, my friends, would be the sign of a company that really cares about the future of gaming.

all.

Well said!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads