D&D 5E Dragon+ magazine is no more.

Yaarel

He Mage
For me, the Dragon magazines are hit or miss. If one of the articles happens to be something I find interesting and is balanced mechanics, then it is awesome. But if not then meh.

Every once in a while I read thru Dragon magazines, especially if I am researching a particular D&D tradition. Generally, only some issues are valuable to me.

Probably the highest consistent quality and topics that sound interesting are the Dragon magazines for 4e.

Burnside

Space Jam Confirmed
Supporter
I actually thought the first 16-18 issues of Dragon+ were quite strong. It also felt more useful and relevant because 5E content hadn't exploded exponentially the way it has in the past ~4 years, so it was actually a good source of free maps and adventure content when there wasn't a glut of 5E stuff everywhere yet. But it became less and less substantive and more and more just wall-to-wall sell copy. I think the last time I read it was the issue where they were previewing Ghosts of Saltmarsh.

Grantypants

Explorer
The crazy thing to me is that they probably could do a “magazine”

A high end one that came out three times a year. I bet it’d sell like crazy.
I'd love to see a proper 5e magazine take the place of Dragon+. For me, Dragon+ was rarely much more than ads for WotC's upcoming products. Not that I mind getting ads, especially in a free app, but it wasn't ever anything I cared about strongly.

What I'd really like to see is thick, physical magazines with mostly table-usable content and that are published regularly, like the old Dragon and Dungeon magazines. I recognize that the economics of magazine publishing have changed dramatically since those days, so it might not make financial sense to do it that way anymore. Writers, artists, editors, layout, printing, and distribution are all expensive, and advertisers don't want to buy print ads anymore. There's just something about a printed magazine though that's really satisfying to use. And there are third parties that have found a way to make it work to some extent. Kobold Press and MCDM have Patreons for Warlock and Arcadia, in PDF with limited print options. And Lion Forge had a great thing going with Rolled And Told, using comic book distribution for a hybrid comic book/adventure compilation. (Of course, Lion Forge/Oni Press has their own huge problems now, so they're maybe not the best example.)

darjr

I crit!
I'd love to see a proper 5e magazine take the place of Dragon+. For me, Dragon+ was rarely much more than ads for WotC's upcoming products. Not that I mind getting ads, especially in a free app, but it wasn't ever anything I cared about strongly.

What I'd really like to see is thick, physical magazines with mostly table-usable content and that are published regularly, like the old Dragon and Dungeon magazines. I recognize that the economics of magazine publishing have changed dramatically since those days, so it might not make financial sense to do it that way anymore. Writers, artists, editors, layout, printing, and distribution are all expensive, and advertisers don't want to buy print ads anymore. There's just something about a printed magazine though that's really satisfying to use. And there are third parties that have found a way to make it work to some extent. Kobold Press and MCDM have Patreons for Warlock and Arcadia, in PDF with limited print options. And Lion Forge had a great thing going with Rolled And Told, using comic book distribution for a hybrid comic book/adventure compilation. (Of course, Lion Forge/Oni Press has their own huge problems now, so they're maybe not the best example.)
I don’t think a classic style of magazine would work. I also think that in this day and age the demand for a monthly with that content is probably low.

Kobold does do a compiled book of Warlock. I’ve seen it in stores, even big chain stores. I wonder how it does and if a subscription is available?

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I don’t think a classic style of magazine would work. I also think that in this day and age the demand for a monthly with that content is probably low.

Kobold does do a compiled book of Warlock. I’ve seen it in stores, even big chain stores. I wonder how it does and if a subscription is available?
Take J Zubb's Young Adventurers series, combine it with something like Highlights...I would subscribe...for my kids.

Remove ads