D&D 5E Dragonborn Moon Druid

faria

First Post
Do Dragonborn Moon Druids get to use their Breath Weapons while Wild Shaped?

Do they benefit from their Damage Resistance while Wild Shaped?

Riley37

First Post
I suggest this houserule: they can use Dragon Breath only when the Wild Shape has a mouth. If the druid wildshapes into a jellyfish or sponge, then no Dragon Breath.

Yunru

Banned
Banned
"Ask your DM."

Personally I rule that whenever an effect changes your shape, you lose all physical abilities of your original shape (Str/Dex/Con bonuses, weapon/toolkit proficiencies, stuff like natural weapons, breath weapons, etc.), and adopt the new form's for the duration.

Key here I believe is the phrase "if the new form is capable" (or words to that affect). The new form isn't a Dragonborn so it doesn't get the Dragonborn's breath weapon (it could be a half-dragon though!).

pdzoch

Explorer
RAW PHB, "You retain the benefit of any features from your class, race, or other source and can use them if the new form is physically capable of doing so" So, you can use your breath weapon provided that the creature has a mouth. [I do not think any breath weapon is projected any other way]

pdzoch

Explorer
Debatable. If all it took to breath fire was a mouth, why doesn't any other creature do it?
I see where you are going with this. Does the new form have the internal combustion organs to generate the breath.

I skimmed the very next line in the PHB "However, you can’t use any of your special senses, such as darkvision, unless your new form also has that sense." So, I retract my earlier endorsement and would rule, no. The new form has to have the same physical capabilities. Eyes that see and eyes that see darkvision are not the same, so the organ that produces the breath would have to exist also in the new form.

Remove ads