Dragonlance - Adventures during the Age of Despair

Kaodi

Hero
Jerol hangs back from the innkeeper and the man while they haggle, trying not to look too impatient. After the man with the crossbow takes a seat, he waits another moment before approaching to ask about the rates.

" How much must I give you for a night under your roof? " he asks, silently cursing himself afterwards for his lack of tact. He hopes that he might find someone to instruct him in basic Solamnic social etiquette.

Lord_Raven88

First Post
Fine, I'll pay in advance, one night at a time." answers Eton. He pick up five silver out of his purse and put it on the table. "I'll take your gourmet meal now. Food on boats is too dried and salty, my stomach ask me for something better."

Eton walks to an empty table. He removes the crossbow of his back and put on the ground, leaning against the table. By habits, he put it at hand reach. He sits down and lay back on his seat. The fresh and salty air of the sea have tired him and he closes his eyes and rest for a moment, waiting for his food.

I think I'll take a day of break. Just relaxing, it will do me so much good. thinks Eton.

The innkeeper nods at Eton's acceptance and holds out his hand to receive the five silver pieces. "You'll be in room five, which I should mention is a shared room. Take a seat good sir, and I'll get Betsy to bring you your meal once I dealt with my next customer." Now that business has been concluded the Innkeeper no longer waste his false smiles on you, and instead turn the full effect of his chapped lips and diseased gum on his next patron.

The human is slightly taller and heaver than Eton, and has the appearance of a woodsman or hunter. Dressed in well used leather armour he carries a spear and wears a dagger at his side. Over the top of his armour the man wears a weathered cloak.

Eton's eyes almost cease their casual perusal until he notices the cloaks silver clasp. It is identical in shape and form to his golden pendant.

For a shocked second Eton can't help but stare at the clasp, pulling himself together he makes his way over to an empty table.

[sblock=OOC]I'm assuming that Eton keeps his pendant out of sight.[/sblock]
~~~~

As the Innkeeper finishes haggling with the his patron the man (Eton) turns to look briefly at Jerol, giving Jerol a quick once over the man almost turns away until with a shocked look on his face he notices something on Jerol's chest. Pulling himself together the man makes his way to an empty table and sits down facing Jerol.

" How much must I give you for a night under your roof? " he asks, silently cursing himself afterwards for his lack of tact. He hopes that he might find someone to instruct him in basic Solamnic social etiquette.

The gaunt looking man seems totally unfazed by Jerol's manner of speech.

Licking his chapped lips the innkeeper begins rubbing his hands together at Jerol's mention of a price and smiles insincerely. "Well young master do I have a deal with you? For the pittance of five silver pieces per night not only will you get a comfy bed but I'll throw in one of our quality meals and a free pint of a local lager. You won't find a better deal in all Portsmith."

~~~~

Reconsidering, Eric sticks around to hear the preacher for some 10-15 minutes before going to the inn... curious on what in his speech is enthralling the populace, and to survey the area for armed forces.

Good thing to know where you're standing.

Other than the man preaching and his boy companion there are two guards both of whom wear wooden seeker holy symbols (an eight pointed star) as the man finishes his sermon you head towards the humble-looking inn.

[sblock=OOC]The boy didn't disappear, it was you who were disappearing into the crowd.[/sblock]

Last edited:

Kaodi

Hero
Jerol frowns, but he is no mood to haggle with the innkeeper. He drops five silver into the mans hand, and says, " Fine, I will take it. I wish my meal and drink immediately. "

He turns away from the innkeeper, and looks for an empty table to sit down at.

Velmont

First Post
Eton closes his eye again and relax, but he continue to listen at the man. Eton never liked coincidence, he never really believed in it, but that, it was touching something that might start to gives an explanation to some mystery he had on his own life... let's not hurry things. On that, he decides awaits his meal.

Land Outcast

Explorer
Hearing nothing too troubling from the preacher's lips, Eric leaves the crowd to enter the inn...

He opens the door with a soft kick, passing and letting the door close behind him, leaving a wooden barrier before the "voice of salvation".

Eric allows his eyes to get to terms witht he darkness, scanning the room before continuing.
Immediately -almost interrupting- after the last customer leaves for his table, the mercenary walks up to the barkeep:
"A room and a bath" and waits for an answer.

Lord_Raven88

First Post
Jerol frowns, but he is no mood to haggle with the innkeeper. He drops five silver into the mans hand, and says, " Fine, I will take it. I wish my meal and drink immediately. "

The innkeeper obviously pleased with the bargain can't help but smile in pleasure "Room five is where you'll be staying the night young master. And I'll have Betsy bring you your food and beer immediately"

He turns away from the innkeeper, and looks for an empty table to sit down at.

~

Hearing nothing too troubling from the preacher's lips, Eric leaves the crowd to enter the inn...

He opens the door with a soft kick, passing and letting the door close behind him, leaving a wooden barrier before the "voice of salvation".

Eric allows his eyes to get to terms with he darkness, scanning the room before continuing.
Immediately -almost interrupting- after the last customer leaves for his table, the mercenary walks up to the barkeep:
"A room and a bath" and waits for an answer.

Turning from one customer to the next the harried innkeeper manages a brief insincere smile before addressing his latest guest " Five silver pieces per nite that includes a meal and a pint of lager. five coppers for a bath. You'll be in room five."

~

Eton closes his eye again and relax, but he continue to listen at the man. Eton never liked coincidence, he never really believed in it, but that, it was touching something that might start to gives an explanation to some mystery he had on his own life... let's not hurry things. On that, he decides awaits his meal.

~~~~

Finally everyone is seated and your meals and drinks are brought out to you. The meal consist of a simple but tasty stew and a thick slice of bread, while the local lager proves to be nothing special it's still better than many others you've sampled. While you're in the midst of your meal the Seeker Zealot and his entourage (two guards and a boy of approx 12 year of age) enter the inn.

Sweeping past the fawning innkeeper they take the stairs to the rooms above. As they pass you notice that there is something slightly disturbing about the sapphire eyed gaze of the young boy. Though his gaze sweeps the whole room, he seems to pay particular attention to the three of you. When he briefly meets eye contact with Eton you notice that he smirks in apparent amusement.

As the quartet leave the room the background noise of the common room commences once again although in a rather more subdued manner.

Kaodi

Hero
Taking time to savour each spoonful of stew, each bite of bread, each sip of beer, Jerol wonders if he would be better off to leave now, and hope he can get far away from this inn as he can. He is disturbed by the prospect of spending a night under the same roof as the preacher, maybe even in the same room if he is particularly unlucky, but fleeing now could be just as dangerous, arousing the suspicions of the Seekers.

Ultimately, it comes back to the bed. After those nights of rough sleeping on the ship, he is not particularly eager to spend his first night in Solamnia on the ground. However, Jerol has a feeling he will live to regret his choice...

Velmont

First Post
What a twelves years old boys do with these guards and a Seeker? I have a bad feeling about that. thinks Eton. He returns to his meal. Leaving tonight might not be a good idea, it would be to prove they are right about to be mistrusting strangers.

Eton returns to his meal, but after a moment, he takes a look at Jerol and Eric, one at a time. The boy seems to have some interest in them too. And he has hiw own interest in Jerol. Eton tells himself he won't be able to take advanatge of the deal, it seems it is not tonight he will relax.

Land Outcast

Explorer
A bleeding sword...

Why aren't they at the other inn? sure they don't want to be undercover, and they've got the might if not the steel to obtain lodging there... must be after something

Eric puts on the normal show:
Stops eating as everyone else, stares a few seconds at the seekers, and returns to his meal quietly (although he quickly devours the food, habit and hunger combined).

Instead of drinking the lager, Eric goes up to the barkeep with his mug and asks for clean water -he doesn't leave the mug though-. "Good stew, and the best lager I've tasted in months... things are going well for Portsmith, growing..."
He seems to forget he asked for clean water and starts drinking from the mug.

Eric talks for some more time, he doesn't just ask questions:
He mentions his previous work as mercenary (including his work in the Bulls, a company of renown), his last work as bodyguard, and his current unemployed status.

He tries to get a pair of things from the barkeep:
How's Portsmith (and its people) doing.
Anything of interest about these seekers (including wether they're staying in room 5).
How long till the bath is ready.

Last edited:

Lord_Raven88

First Post
While Jerol and Eton continue to eat the rest of their meal and mull over the predicament they finds themselves Eric gets up and approaches the innkeeper who is behind the bar.

Instead of drinking the lager, Eric goes up to the barkeep with his mug and asks for clean water -he doesn't leave the mug though-. "Good stew, and the best lager I've tasted in months... things are going well for Portsmith, growing..."

Business being slow at this time of day the Innkeeper is only too happy to engage in idle conversation with Eric.
[sblock=Conversation]Eric discovers the following from talking with the innkeeper
  • [* ]The Innkeeper is very proud of Portsmith, and claims that Portsmith (a former farming village) has quadruped in size since the Cataclysm.
  • Portsmith is finally managing to cope with it's new role as a center of commerce and trade and with it's new role of thriving port town.
  • The people while happy with there new role, still feel the loss an betrayal of the Gods turning their backs on mankind. And many are searching for something the full the void of the gods absence.
  • The Seekers have their own private room, and prefer to stay in more modest accommodation to reflect the fact that they are concerned with spiritual things (not material) and seek to help improve the lot of the common man.
  • The bath will be ready in about 30 minutes.
[/sblock]OOC: Let me know if there is anything of signifigance that you want to do otherwise I'll fastforward to some more interesting bits. Also feel free to RP going to room 5 (which has two bunks and sleeps four) and discovering that you've in the same place.

Remove ads