Dragonlance Dragonlance Lives

Elf Witch

First Post
I have never understood fans' failure to acknowledge that publishing budgets have limits, and every book that gets the green light means another book has not.

No, I do not want to see Wizards' D&D5 budget wasted on post-Dark Disciple Krynn. I consider it an embarrassment. Weis and Hickman have done so much else that is excellent -- why not capitalize on some of that and stop tearing open this ancient wound?

It's a rhetorical question -- I know why. All opinion-based ranting aside, Wizards still owns the rights to Dragonlance. So enjoy your new post-"Goddess of Tears" Dragonlance supplements, as I'm sure they will be made and you will snap them up. Me, I will continue to weep for the products on which that money could otherwise have been spent.

I am trying to find a way to answer this in a way that won't get me a vacation from the forum. The arrogance of your post is over the top. First of all most of us are aware that yes there is a budget for publishing and that not everything we want will get published. Second you seem to think your opinion is a fact.

Shemeska

Adventurer
No matter how you feel about Planescape, you must admit Shemeska's absorption of the setting into her very bones.

shemmysmile.gif

I would do a great many things to be able to freelance for the setting. It's quite near and dear to me, and very much informs how I approach fantasy RPGs, even as gone on to write much more for other settings like Golarion.

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
One thing I can say for the old Atlas of Krynn, it had awesome maps, diagrams, city plans, castle layouts, and similar stuff.

Last edited:

I just hope if they do dragon lance they have prestige classes up and running BEFORE they work on it... different knights and towers work much better that way.

gweinel

Explorer
I don't know if I care enough to see Dragonlance brought back into the light. In my mind, it is a great setting for the stories that have been done, but much like Middle Earth, I don't want to see anything more done with it to possibly "tarnish" the gem.

It is now always true. Sometimes you want to live in your favorite fantasy world. You want to meet the widely read heroes, visit the famous places and face the infamous enemies. There is too much good lore in the setting to let this wither like the other settings. I am saying that and I admit I am not a big Dragonlance fan. However, I am a big Middle Earth fan and I really enjoyed how the people of Cubicle 7 treated the work of Tolkien. They did magnificent job and The One Ring is one of the best games out there. It is the best game for sure regarding Middle Earth and I can not think how they could make it better.
If Cubicle 7 can treat a "hot potato" with such respect I am confident Wizard can do this too with any setting. I don't think Dragonlance is more difficult than Middle Earth and I would be glad to see it publish again.

Last edited:

Blackwarder

Adventurer
It is now always true. Sometimes you want to live in your favorite fantasy world. You want to meet the widely read heroes, visit the famous places and face the infamous enemies. There is too much good lore in the setting too let this wither like the other settings. I am saying that and I admit I am not a big Dragonlance fan. However, I am a big Middle Earth fan and I really enjoyed how the people of Cubicle 7 treated the work of Tolkien. They did magnificent job and The One Ring is one of the best games out there. It is the best game for sure regarning Middle Earth and I can not think how they could make it better.
If Cubicle 7 can treat a "hot potato" with such respect I am confident Wizard can do this too with any setting. I don't think Dragonlance is more difficult than Middle Earth and I would be glad to see it publish again.

x2
QFT

Warder

AmerginLiath

Adventurer
I get the sense, from all the mentions throughout the process of D&D Next, that Dragonlance remains on the designers mind for 5th Edition. However, I also get the idea that the reason that it's not on the top of the list for release is that they want to find a proper niche for it. As well-designed as everything in the 3.5 MWP material was, I felt that much of it could have been any faux-medieval world rather than Krynn. Now part of that was the ruleset that hammered everything into one style (look at the issue with monster levels and such), but still much of it felt less unique than I expected (not meant as any sort of a slight -- I work in publishing myself, so I know how much editing and approval along the way change and can water down products). I don't know if anyone else has had similar thoughts, looking at how knighthoods have had to fit into prestige classes and such.

With the experience that the designers have had since with, for example, creating a unique 4e Dark Sun, I wonder if they're waiting to build a unique 5e Dragonlance built on that unique sense of romance & war that seems borne from a union of Tolkien & de Troyes, as well as that particular sense of dragons and architecture that other worlds haven't used. With the trial and error of wargaming that WotC have done in recent years, part of me wonders in DL (and either a War of the Lance rebuild or a new campaign that harkens to that story, coming off new novels) will be born of the modular rules on war and nation-building, rules that come into play more in a world where the action of one group of heroes seems to affect the destiny of an entire world for good or ill on a daily basis (versus Faerun's sideline heroes or Athas & Nentir Vale's grittier local survivors).

Of course, that's just my thoughts on it...

Remove ads