dragons and antimagic

Rkhet

First Post
Do orbs work inside antimagic? Also, dragons can still fly. And with AMF on, it can pretty much chase down and one-round those casters.

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
Rkhet said:
Do orbs work inside antimagic?

"The effects of instantaneous conjurations are not affected by an antimagic field because the conjuration itself is no longer in effect, only its result."

Orbs work just fine.

If the dragon uses a scroll of widened antimagic field and flies to stay out of reach of the melee fighters, everyone teleports away and comes back a few hours later. Eventually he'll run out of scrolls...

-Hyp.

Rkhet

First Post
No no, there's no need to stay out of reach. Just chase the casters down. Even if the meatshield is in melee, a puny AOO by its puny non-magic sword and with its puny unenhanced attack rating isn't going to do much.

You can still run away and wait, though, I guess. But either way, you'd be expending much more resources than 20% on a creature of the same CR. This option wouldn't apply in epic games with Permanent Emanation - then what do you do?

A related question: if you shoot magic arrows at a target inside an antimagic field, while you're outside, does the enhancement bonus apply? What about reach weapons? Melee weapons?

Last edited:

dcollins

Explorer
Storyteller01 said:
There's also the question of whether the Widen option is really needed. The spell extends ten feet, centered on the target. If a dragon casts it on itself, wouldn't it simply extend 10 ft beyond its own build. (Spell description states that it extends 10 ft, centered on the caster, not centered on the casters center)

Actual quote from spell description:

Should a creature be larger than the area enclosed by the barrier, any part of it that lies outside the barrier is unaffected by the field.

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
Rkhet said:
You can still run away and wait, though, I guess. But either way, you'd be expending much more resources than 20% on a creature of the same CR.

Dragons are under-CR'd anyway :) It's unusual to expend 20% of your resources to defeat a CR-equivalent dragon.

This option wouldn't apply in epic games with Permanent Emanation - then what do you do?

I'm confused - are we too low level to cast Disjunction, or are we Epic?

A related question: if you shoot magic arrows at a target inside an antimagic field, while you're outside, does the enhancement bonus apply? What about reach weapons? Melee weapons?

I recall a thread in 3E that involved a bane arrow, an antimagic field, and two creatures (one providing cover for the other)... but I can't recall exaclty how it went! :)

Don't forget the corresponding questions - where you're inside but the target is outside!

dcollins said:
Actual quote from spell description:

Ah, but does that tell us that a Huge caster ends up somewhat outside the field? Or does it tell us that a Large creature standing near the caster can be half in and half out, without actually addressing the issue of whether it's a ten-foot emanation from the caster's perimeter or centre?

-Hyp.

Last edited:

Rkhet

First Post
You can cast Disjunction if you're Epic, obviously. But if disjoined the dragon can just restart it. And it only has a 1/3 chance of working.

Also, the opportunity cost for the dragon - two feats, Widen and PE(AMF), is quite low. It doesn't even cost an action. Seems to me that every dragon who could afford it would want it.

Jack Simth

First Post
Hypersmurf said:
Ah, but does that tell us that a Huge caster ends up somewhat outside the field? Or does it tell us that a Large creature standing near the caster can be half in and half out, without actually addressing the issue of whether it's a ten-foot emanation from the caster's perimeter or centre?

-Hyp.
Well, how about this one:
SRD said:
Burst, Emanation, or Spread: Most spells that affect an area function as a burst, an emanation, or a spread. In each case, you select the spell’s point of origin and measure its effect from that point.
(Emphasis added)
Generally speaking, a perimeter of a largish thing is not a point.
SRD said:
Area: 10-ft.-radius emanation, centered on you
(Emphasis added)
And Antimagic Field is an Emanation, which is centered on the caster (not emanating from) the caster.

?

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
Jack Simth said:
And Antimagic Field is an Emanation, which is centered on the caster (not emanating from) the caster.

Yup. It gets weirder when you consider that the point of origin of a spell is always a grid intersection... so a Medium caster is never at the exact centre of his own AMF.

-Hyp.

Remove ads