dragons and antimagic

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
dcollins said:
Agree, of course, that the rules are clear spells emanate from a point (grid intersection according to DMG).

It's in the Magic Overview in the PHB as well:

Regardless of the shape of the area, you select the point where the spell originates, but otherwise you don’t control which creatures or objects the spell affects. The point of origin of a spell is always a grid intersection.

-Hyp.

Plane Sailing

Astral Admin - Mwahahaha!
Hypersmurf said:
Well, it loses its DR, so the magic swords aren't quite so necessary.

Don't forget the casters backing them up with assorted Orb spells.

-Hyp.

I still can't get my head around how the caster is throwing a conjured, non-magical orb of force...

Classic case of a designer not really thinking through what a spell school actually means, unfortunately.

Jack Simth

First Post
Well... not all force effects, once established, are subject to an AMF - the classic example being the wall of force. If the Orb of Force was self-contained, it might reasonably not be affected by an AMF once it's on it's merry way.

Inconsequenti-AL

Breaks Games
I feel the correct answer is called creatures that can fly. Hopefully they can slow up the dragon long enough for the arcane archers to fill it full of arrows. Quite what you have to pay something to toe to toe with a high powered dragon is a good question.

Solars can use this too... they're not too slouchy against unmagiced humans either.

The dragon could take archmage levels and use Mastery of Shaping to leave a hole in the middle of it's AMF... Now it has an antimagic shell but can buff/heal from within...

Rkhet

First Post
Hrm. CxW spells are Instantaneous Conjurations too, you know. Does this mean that a Cleric can cast Mass CLW into an AMF? What if they're inside the AMF themselves?

Yig

First Post
Hypersmurf said:
"The effects of instantaneous conjurations are not affected by an antimagic field because the conjuration itself is no longer in effect, only its result."

Orbs work just fine.

Could you please provide a link/page number for that ?

Pretty please :)

Remove ads