dragons and antimagic

Rkhet

First Post
I just realized something: high-end dragons can cast Antimagic Field.

So the question is: how do you go about killing dragons without magic? Say you're not high-level enough to have Disjunction.

Wolf72

Explorer
have a really good BAB ... AC ... and do lots of dmg? ... right, and have lots of HP b/c even w/o magic a dragon is a walking shredder.

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
Rkhet said:
I just realized something: high-end dragons can cast Antimagic Field.

So the question is: how do you go about killing dragons without magic? Say you're not high-level enough to have Disjunction.

With an axe, dear Henry, dear Henry, dear Henry...

-Hyp.

Jack Simth

First Post
Most of the dragons high enough up to cast Antimagic Field are too big to entirely fit inside one - it's only a 10 foot radius; and by the time the dragon has an effective Sorceror level of 12th or better, it's usually Gargantuan. It wouldn't help the dragon much, if at all, and could seriously crimp the dragon's assorted spells, Spell-like, and Su abilities.

Rkhet

First Post
If this is as powerful as I suspect, every dragon worth their treasure rating would have a scroll of Widened Antimagic Field in their hoard somewhere.

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
Rkhet said:
If this is as powerful as I suspect, every dragon worth their treasure rating would have a scroll of Widened Antimagic Field in their hoard somewhere.

What is it you see as being so powerful?

Storyteller01

First Post
There's also the question of whether the Widen option is really needed. The spell extends ten feet, centered on the target. If a dragon casts it on itself, wouldn't it simply extend 10 ft beyond its own build.

(Spell description states that it extends 10 ft, centered on the caster, not centered on the casters center)

Rkhet

First Post
They'd be near-invulnerable against puny humans, for starters. How many fighters of the same CR will it take to down a dragon inside an antimagic field? Without their shiny magic swords?

Hrm. This goes into epic, but... Permanent Emanation (Widened Antimagic Field).

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
Rkhet said:
They'd be near-invulnerable against puny humans, for starters. How many fighters of the same CR will it take to down a dragon inside an antimagic field? Without their shiny magic swords?

Well, it loses its DR, so the magic swords aren't quite so necessary.

Don't forget the casters backing them up with assorted Orb spells.

-Hyp.

Remove ads