Dragons of Autumn Twilight - Much Enjoying

JoeGKushner

First Post
The first six books were great stuff. Time of the Twins, Test of the Twins, etc... A lot of the books in the series are pretty bland though. Richard Knackk also did a good job on some of the material. his Legend of Huma and Kaz the Minotaur are still some of my favorites, although I haven't had the funds to pick up some of the newer books.

Flexor the Mighty!

18/100 Strength!
I think the first trilogy is great, the second one is even better then you should drop the DL novels quick. It only gets much, much worse from there. It's earth shaking cataclysms one after another at that point. The gods leave, come back, leave, come back, etc. It get really old fast.

JoeGKushner

First Post
Starman said:
I was disappointed with the War of Souls trilogy. One of the best parts of the original two trilogies was the camaraderie between the Companions of the Lance. War of Souls had none of that. In fact, I didn't really care for most of the characters.

Starman

That whole new generation bit was terrible. Too many classic characters dying just for the shock value and too few new characters worth even reading.

LostSoul

Adventurer
I read the first Dragonlance books a long time ago. I liked the first one, but after that, not so much...

I liked the book about Huma and another one about a dwarf, some sword, and a wizard. Can't remember what it was called though.

RaceBannon42

First Post
The last Dragonlance book I read was Dragons of a Summer Flame, which is sort of what you might call a sequel/epilogue to the Chronicles trilogy. It was pretty good in and of itself, but I could have left things as they were after Chronicles and Legends. I also read Tales 1 & 2 and they were mediocre, Huma and Kaz were better than the others. I stopped after book one of the meetings sextet and don't think I have read anything else aside from one of the anthologies. I agree with most of the other posters. unless you are searching for some bland books to kill time stick with the first 2 triliogys. There are many more books out there I would reccomend before the rest of the DL books.

cybertalus

First Post
Dragons of Autumn Twilight was the reason I got into D&D. I read it and thought "if the game is half as good as this novel, I wanna play it."

So yeah, I hold that whole first trilogy in very high esteem. I seem to be one of the few who thought the second trilogy wasn't quite as good as the first, but the books I sampled after that seemed to go way downhill.

Weis and Hickman hit on something great with that first trilogy. I'm glad you're getting to enjoy it for the first time.

The Human Target

Adventurer
I think that The Raistlin Chronicles books - The Soulforge and Brothers in Arms - are both excellent. Anyone who has read the first trilogy can read them and they really add depth to all the characters, not just Raistlin. My question is, did they ever put out a third book in the series?

Remove ads