• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Dragonstar :: what happened?

GuardianLurker

Adventurer
silentspace said:
Could someone give a summary of Dragonstar vs T20? Maybe also vs D20 Future? It'd be much appreciated.

T20 is a d20 port of Traveller. It's intended for space opera along the lines of Andre Norton's Forerunner series. Essentially no magic. It also assumes you start at a level higher than 1. IIRC, I think 7 is the minimum. This is the result of the background rules. It also has good rules for starship, and star system creation.

Dragonstar is D&D in space. It integrates magic and tech and has no real literary equivalent. *Maybe* Chalker's Well World series - *maybe*. It assumes a 2nd or 3rd level start to compensate for deadlier weapons.

If you have a choice, play either over D20 Future. I'm coming out of a campaign that makes extensive use of D20 Future. The PrCs are OK. My opinion of the rest cannot be adequately expressed under Grandmother rules. Anything involved with starships has *huge* conceptual flaws. For a system that purports to be a "toolbox" it is almost entirely lacking in systems to help you build things. Like star systems, starships, etc. I started really hopeful, and have been utterly disappointed in it in almost every way possible.

Storyteller01

First Post
You're also better off importing 3.0 cover rules if you play DS. The lethality of the ranged weapons makes it all but essential unless you have some exceptional armor.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads